Help me make a high end AMD build

Better power supply for less: Newegg.com - SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

A Phenom II 955 is the same as a 965, but with x16 multiplier instead of x17. You can set the multi to x17 is the BIOS without changing anything else and it is a 965, but for cheaper: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Samsung F3 1TB gives you 50% more storage and better performance for the same price as the Caviar black 640GB: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Having a motherboard that support Crossfire only, but using an Nvidia card seems like a bit of a waste to me, but you put it in so I assume you have a reason. Slightly less, but a better motherboard: Newegg.com - ASRock 890GX Extreme3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Finally, a GTX 460 is a better card than the 465, counter intuitive, I know, but it just is. It is very, very marginally (not noticable) less performance, but massively less heat production, power consumption, and a smaller card. That means, if you choose to overclock it, it is able to overclock much further than the 465 can, making it better performance when overclocked, better even than a 470 or HD5850/HD6870 if you go far enough. It is easily the best bang for buck card available. Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Thanks for the help sir, I'm redoing my shopping cart.

Do you know any motherboards that would fit my build but support SLI? Also the board you showed me there has some bad reviews about it, so I'm not sure about buying. =\

Also, is there a speed decrease on the Samsung F3 1TB compared to the Caviar black 640GB?

Or Should I get an Intel CPU and motherboard and go that way?

SLI and crossfire are sort of daft, other than getting a second of an older card to get a cheap boost in performance, a single card is always better, it uses less power, creates less heat, uses less space and you won't get the issues that come with multi-GPU setups.

As for the board, I wouldn't trust Newegg reviews, they are usually written by computer noobs or people rageing because, like can happen with any product with any manufacturer, their product was DOA, or went slightly after, even though it is for that exact reason there is warranty. Like all other ASRock products, they are as reliable as any other brand, more so than your very cheap brands such as Biostar or ECS. Should anything happen to the board, their warranty service is excellent as well. They are a branch off of Asus, and I've used Asus who, the times I've used them, have come below expectations, but have never had to use ASRock, however from people I know that have used them, their service is excellent, both in times to get a replacement and communication/support throughout.

A Samsung F3 1TB is faster than a 640GB Caviar black, yes.

And it is completely up to you which CPU manufacturer you choose. If you want to go Intel instead, wait until late in January, their new Sandy Bridge processors are coming out, bringing with it a new socket (1155). They are meant to be same performance as 1366, but with the price around that of 1156, so the best option. Even if you don't go with SB, it would most probably drop the prices of Intel's current lineup, meaning you can get more for your money

I just built a system for someone using the Antec 300 and it was a great little case. If you already have it, that's less money to fork out, so stick with it if you can.

Back
Top Bottom