Help me if you can, Otherwise just Laugh and say "Sucks to be you"

Paradox1

Fully Optimized
Good god, Get ready to read some confusing stuff..

The Plan: Whipe the Full 12 Gig HD clean, Partition it into 3 (Using XP CDd), Install 98, Download Gentoo and burn it to cd, Install Gentoo to the 2nd Partition.
That sounds simple, right? Well heres where Im at

Tools:
Scratched Windows XP CD

(That has about 5 corrupt files, Some things work, Some dont, Cant install XP)
Windows 98 SE CD
(Doesnt give you the option for installin to a partition, Apparently It wants to install to all three or something)
Knoppix CD
(For talking to you people, I cant even use it for anything)

Ok I finally got the Hard Drive whiped, right?
It's Divided into three partitions, ill refer to them as "a" "b" & "c".
Partition A: 2557 = Supposed to be Windows 98
Partition B: 2557 = Supposed to be Gentoo
Partition C: 7174 = Supposed to be Remainder For Files (Or About that)

Before I started over I used the Windows 98 SE CD, I guess It doesnt know what a partition is or something? I dont know, It just doesnt mention anything about it and starts installing instelf to the whole hard drive and starts blinking the screen to black every 5 seconds and freezes after 3 minutes.

Then when that happens I get an Idea "Oh that 2 Gig hard drive in my closet has 98 on it, Ill use that and get the gentoo Iso from the internet" I plug it in, It installs the plug and play drivers and is running smooth, I have 98 up and going on that HD, Then Oh noes, My Motorola Cable Modem and Ethernet Card Drivers are not compatible with this frikkin version of windows!

So now, I switch back to the 12 gig hard drive pissed off, "Mom and dad are just going to have to live with Windows XP"
I used the Scratched Windows XP CD to partition the hard drive again (Just to start from scratch.

Partition A is formatted to fat32 and windows XP is kind of half installed on it, I cant install the rest of XP on it because it keeps shutting down at "29 minutes remaining" Probably because of the 3 holes it has in the data layer (the label) and the other two are unformatted in the above sizes.

Anyways, There is good news.* My friend has an Uncle Who has a Windows XP Sp1 CD (Same one I do) that he can let me borrow, And Is burning a gentoo ISO to a CD-R for me. Bad news is, I have to wait until Tuesday before I can get it from him at school.

I think Im screwed, if i dont get my computer fixed by Monday (mom likes making deadlines -_- makes her feel like she has power) I dont get the computer parts Ive been wanting so long And I have to put up with this peice of s*** until I get a job!

AND NO ONE HIRES A 15 YEAR OLD TECHNICIAN! NOBODY! EVEN IF I HAVE MORE EXPERIENCE THAN THE 40 YEAR OLD GUYS THAT CHARGE YOU QUAD AS MUCH FOR THEIR SERVICES AT THE LOCAL COMPUTER STORE!

*Sigh* For someone who loves technology so much why does it hate me?

steady on my young friend, don't get so down on yourself.
if you install windows 98, you can't use your modem and your drivers are not compatible. so why do you want to use windows 98?
and you can't install the full version of xp because your cd is damaged. have you tried phoning the microsoft helpline and explaining your problem with the xp cd? as long as it is an authentic product they might be able to help you.
don't be so down on yourself, you should be able to bluff your way through with your parents until Tuesday. and if they are going to cough up the money for a new p.c they cant be all that bad.
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_replace_a_lost.htm
woz

Wow....*laughing*...I can't even begin to understand what to do except just find a bootleg version of XP. Wait, that's illegal. Oh well Microsoft makes billions, what's a CD to them?

lol thats a funny joke that you didnt mean at all *looks around for mods* lol But yeah, I would never do it ofcourse but I can easily get a copy of corporate from school lol, They leave all their CDs in an unlocked room, without any cameras, through out the day lol

Anyways, Yeah.. This is my parents computer, and It had hardware problems that we fixed, when it came back there was software problems so mom said install 98 back on there, she doesnt know how to use xp, 98 is familiar to her i guess

Theyre getting tired of there computer messing up so much, its all my fault, nevermind the fact that its 8 years old lol

I would call microsoft but itd take longer than tuesday, Ill just have to wait until then. I guess =\ *crosses fingers hoping he still gets his computer for christmas*

if your cd is an original, i can't see anything wrong with you using another cd, from wherever to install the system. you have purchased your copy of xp and can use your key that you purchsed to register it.
if you wan't a future in IT, you should start your training by trying to sell the values of xp to your parents. it is better than 98 by a long way. give it a go and turn them to xp.
woz

lol, My parents dont understand what Im saying when I try and tell them why its better, They stare at me blankly and say "ok thats good now in english" Its kinda sad lol

Back
Top Bottom