Help me find a good gaming laptop?

SimpsonKnight

Solid State Member
So earlier this week I made a thread asking what's important to look for when buying a gaming laptop. I got great advice and now it's time for me to actually buy one.

My budget is aproximatelly 2000$. In terms of what I would like for it to play, nothing too fancy. Like no Crysis (although if it could play Crysis that would be awesome). I play a lot of RTSs (Starcraft 2, Total War series, etc) and RPGs (really want one that will be able to play Skyrim when it comes in a few months). I do play some Call of Duty on consoles but if my new laptop could run Black Ops that would also be awesome. I don't want one of those super flashy laptops; something more professional looking would be great. And finally, I am looking for one with a 17" screen rather than a 15". Nothing considerably bigger though cause I assume it would be way too heavy.

So I've been doing some research online (I assume the Newegg and TigerDirect are the two sites that most people here go to for their computer needs?) and I've found a couple of machines that peaked my interest. I was hoping I could get some feedback here. Any other suggestions would also be awesome.

The first one is this: Buy the ASUS G73SW-XT1 17.3 Black Laptop at TigerDirect.ca

I really like the 17" screen and the hardware also seems good (right?), although the graphics isn't a 500 series. Would that be a problem? And it's not too expensive. What do you guys think?

Than there is this: Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Qosmio X775-Q7272 Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 17.3" 6GB Memory DDR3 1333 2 x 500GB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

I really like the design and hopefully you can get it in colors other than red, although red is cool too. It has a very good video card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M), correct? Not too heavy, 6.6 lbs, although the battery life doesn't seem to be that great, and Motorolla is a good brand, right? So ya, any thoughts?

Finally there is this: Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS8951G-9600 Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 18.4" 8GB Memory DDR3 1066 750GB HDD 5400rpm BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M

From what I understand, it has a very good video card (2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M) and I like it's professional design.

It seems that most of the other laptops in this price range have very similar specs. I could go higher if you guys think that the extra few hundred dollars are worth it.

Finally, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS. This might be a dumb question, but since I live in Canada, would I still be able to buy from American retailers such as Newegg or TigerDirect?

UPDATE

So as it turns out, unless I am horribly mistaken you can't order things form the American Newegg if you live in Canada. Thus I was looking at the Canadian Newegg (which has a smaller selection and is more expensive) and this is what seems to be the most poular high end laptop there:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152284

This model doesnt have many reviews but it's 15" counterpart has tons and they are all positive. So what are your thoughts guys? Is it good? It seems decent. At least the specs do. I am not too big on the design but thats a minor complaint.

Here is another possibility:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=807380&CatId=4938

Thoughts?

Also, are there any other major Canadian retailers that I should take a look at?

I don't know much about gaming on laptops so would not presume to advise you on that. I just wanted to make sure you were aware that many video cards for laptops use the same or similar numbers to desktop cards but are actually slower. So make sure if you look at any video card reviews that they are on laptops.

You are in luck on one thing tho. Newegg, which I consider the only place to buy computer components online due not only to usually having the best prices but also large selection, the best navigation and supporting information, and best service of any vendor, has a site for Canada -

Newegg Canada - Computer Products, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras, Cellphones and More!

Oh, wow, ok thanks so much for the advice. I will definatelly look into some video card reviews before making my choice.

I did see that Newegg Canada site but the thing is it's selection seems to be much smaller and the prices higher. Hopefully I can order things from the US site. I mean Canada isn't that far...

Back
Top Bottom