Help me experts!

roland poland

Baseband Member
My comp seriously has some probs. First pop-ups keep on coming up. And everything is so dang slow. When I try to load something it takes like a minute or something. And when I try to download something from the net, it takes longer that my cousins Window 98. I'm not exactly a computter expert so can you guys help me out?

Please?

What are your specs? How old is your comp? have you run any ad aware, syware, antivirus scans, malware scans, etc. lately at all? Have you defragged your hd lately, or at all? How much ram do you have? The standard is 512mb, but that's minimal pretty much... 256mb is really darn slow... 1g is the best out for everyday use.. everything up is high performance.

Delete temporary internet files and perform disk cleanup. Then defrag the hard drive. As for pop-ups, you'll need to buy a program that gets rid of them or use some free pop up blockers out there like Google or Yahoo.

I know what temporary internet files are but how do I delete them. I don't know what RAM is. Oh yeah and guys what's defragging? No I'm serious, I said I was no computer expert...Oh yeah, it's an Windows XP

For I.E. go to tools, internet options, then click on delete files. Cookies too if you want to, but it deletes all saved passwords, etc. Ram is random access memory. Random Access Memory) A group of memory chips, typically of the dynamic RAM (DRAM) type, which function as the computer's primary workspace. When personal computers first came on the market in the late 1970s, 64KB (64 kilobytes) of RAM was the upper limit. Today, 64MB (64 megabytes) of SDRAM is entry level for a desktop computer, a thousand times as much (see SDRAM).

The "random" in RAM means that the contents of each byte of storage in the chip can be directly accessed without regard to the bytes before or after it. This is also true of other types of memory chips, including ROMs and PROMs. However, unlike ROMs and PROMs, RAM chips require power to maintain their content, which is why you must save your data onto disk before you turn the computer off. To learn about the types of RAM chips and how to upgrade your memory, see memory module. To learn how memory is used to process data, see computer or memory. The most common computer memory which can be used by programs to perform necessary tasks while the computer is on; an integrated circuit memory chip allows information to be stored or accessed in any order and all storage locations are equally accessible. Hope this helps...

I didn't understand anything Thanks for trying Guess I'm just not the computer kid. And one last question what're cookies?

A cookie is a small data file created by a Web server that is stored on your computer either temporarily for that session only or permanently on the hard disk (persistent cookie). Cookies provide a way for the Web site to identify users and keep track of their preferences.

Cookies Are Beneficial

Cookies are commonly used to "maintain the state" of the session as a user browses around on the site. For example, if you filled out a form and decided to leave that for a moment to view another page, when you come back to that form, the data would still be there. Without cookies, the site would not know who you were.

Cookies contain a range of URLs (addresses) for which they are valid. When the Web browser or other HTTP application sends a request to a Web server with those URLs again, it also sends along the related cookies. For example, if your user ID and password are stored in a cookie, it saves you from typing in the same information all over again when accessing that service the next time. By retaining user history, cookies allow the Web site to tailor the pages and create a custom experience for that individual.

Your Cookies Know You

Quite a bit of personal data may reside in the cookie files in your computer. As a result, this storehouse of private information is sometimes the object of attack.

First-Party Vs. Third-Party

The default settings in your Web browser typically allow "first-party" cookies that do not contain any personal information, but not "third-party" cookies. First-party cookies are ones that are created by the Web site you are visiting. Third-party cookies are created by a Web site other than the one you are currently visiting; for example, by a third-party advertiser on that site. The purpose of such cookies is usually to track your surfing habits, which is why third-party cookies are considered an invasion of privacy and riskier than first-party cookies.

Configuring Cookie Settings

You can prevent all cookies from being stored in your computer, but that severely limits the Web surfing experience. To change settings, look for the cookie options in your browser in the Options or Preferences menu.

Clear up the clutter with Disk Cleanup:

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup. Click the drive you want to scan, and wait while the program calculates how much disk space is available for cleanup. To delete obsolete files, click the Disk Cleanup tab, select the check boxes of the files that you want to remove, click OK, and then click Yes.

Defragment your hard disk to keep it in peak condition:

Files and applications on your computer's hard disk drive are not always stored together as one unit, but are often divided into smaller units and scattered around the hard disk. This is caused by normal use. On a fragmented hard disk, a computer has to work harder to gather all of the small units to perform the commands you give it; this slows down its ability to access files and run applications. Running Disk Defragmenter helps by putting all like files and applications into contiguous groups so the computer can access them quickly. If you use your computer a lot, it's a good idea to run Disk Defragmenter on a regular basis. It's also a good idea to run Disk Defragmenter after you install a lot of applications to enable them to run at top speed.

Here's how to do it:

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Defragmenter. Click the Settings button, select the options you want (to ensure fastest startup of programs, select the first check box), and then click OK. Choose the drive you want to defragment from the drop-down menu, and then click OK.

Note= It is best to shut down all your applications before you run Disk Defragmenter.

The Temporary Internet Files (or cache) folder contains Web page content that is stored on your hard disk for quick viewing. This cache permits Internet Explorer or MSN Explorer to download only the content that has changed since you last viewed a Web page, instead of downloading all the content for a page every time it is displayed. To delete the files in the Temporary Internet Files folder, follow these steps:.

Quit Internet Explorer and quit any instances of Windows Explorer. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options. On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files. In the Delete Files dialog box, click to select the Delete all offline content check box , and then click OK. Click OK.

Back
Top Bottom