Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Help me cuztomize a Dell desktop

Now for some little background info. I can't build a desktop from scratch because I am not comfortable doing that, so that's not an option. This desktop would have to be good at multitasking, I like running several applications at once. A good entertaiment PC, and just decent at gaming (most games I buy are RTS, I never buy FPS for Pc and last game I bought was Rome Total War.) Now this is mainly a college PC, and I don't need a monitor because I am buying my own.

Now I been looking at different models, to find something worth the price and something that would be easily upgradable in the future (like more RAM, better graphic card and so on.) So far I found the XPS 200 and the Dimension E510. Now I think these 2 are pretty good models for the price. Note I would like to keep this PC at a max price of $1600 or below.

I configured the XPS 200 to these settings:

Pentium® D Processor 820 w/Dual Core Technology (2.8GHz,800FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition with re-installation CD
Single TV Tuner with Remote Control
128MB PCI Express™ x16 ATI Radeon™ X600 SE (note, i dont know why it won't let me choose a better model, so if someone can explain why that could be helpful.)
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M)
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
8X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy® ADVANCED HD Audio
And a 4 year Premium Solution Warranty.

Will this PC be easily upgradable in the future? Like more RAM or better graphic cards and so on? Or should I look at different models? And did I add anything that I wouldn't use and I can take off to save some money? Thanks.

Note: the Dimension E510 can be configured to about the same stats for around the same price.

unknown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Help me cuztomize a Dell desktop

ok well.. i wouldn't recommend the xps 200.. if you plan on upgrading in the future.. you should probably go for a computer that has SLi ready. it probably didnt let you pick a better video card because the stock power supply that dell provides probably isn't sufficient enough to safely run any cards that are more demanding than that one. that case is pretty small too.. so i'm not sure what motherboard it uses either.. i'd look look at different models... or better yet.. build a computer =).

| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
In Runtime

Dell? Hmm... Just go to newegg and custom build it from there, Dell's are known to be very Unupgradable.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
In Runtime

ya guynameddave is rite, if u want to upgrade dell is not ur option. dell has a tendency to use parts that are very very very expensive to replace in the future. Im not sure where to look i just know definately not to look at dell. I know I had to abandon my dell and just build a whole new comp just to get more ram. Going from 256 to 1 gig I only ended up spending about 200 more than I woulda with dell. Better processor and such(I did have some parts sittin around) the point is that they are very expensive to upgrade
ChuNalt787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

dell won't give upgradeable hardware.. otherwise they would make no money at all.. they just want you to buy a new computer when the time comes. if i were you. i would either custom build one or get a higher end XPS, because they actually aren't too bad.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

For the money you're going to be spending, you might want to think about Alienware. They make some of the best custom built pcs, and for $1600 you could get a screaming Area-51 or Aurora. They have a really good reputation with upgradability and their higher end models were made to game.