Help me choose a video card(stream processors)

Genocidist22

Baseband Member
I am having trouble choosing between two video cards in the Geforce 9 series.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150316- This card has a lower core/memory clock, but higher stream processors (112).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127333- This card has a higher core/memory clock, but lower stream processors (64)

I'd like to get the MSI brand card because I have bought from them before and havent been disappointed. On the other hand, if 112 stream processors means more performance id get the xfx card.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!

The 9800GT will be faster than the 9600GT. XFX is a good brand anyway.

Thank you for the speedy reply!

Could you give me a quick idea of what stream processors do and how big of an upgrade it is from 64 to 112?

I can't help you much there. All I really know is that the more you have, the better your card will perform. I "think" they're software shaders, but I'm not sure at all about that. Maybe someone else can chime in.

"The 112 stream processors is what caught my eye. This is what's used to actually make the graphics prettier, and let me tell you - things are looking MUCH prettier for me."

taken from newegg customer reviews.

All I want a new card for is to play gta 4 with more than 10 frames(what i get now with my card). I think I may just get the MSI card- It doesnt seem to get as hot as the xfx card.

edit: I say card a lot.

9600GT's run really cool. Mine didn't even touch 50C with the stock cooler on it, and that thing is thin. With a Thermaltake Duorb on it I had a hard time getting it to 40C.

"The 112 stream processors is what caught my eye. This is what's used to actually make the graphics prettier, and let me tell you - things are looking MUCH prettier for me."
Newegg reviewers don't know shit.

I like the MSI's cooler.

I'd go with the 9600 even if the other has higher stream processors. The 9600 has a higher core clock.

I'd go with the 9600 even if the other has higher stream processors. The 9600 has a higher core clock.
The core clock is the running frequency of the TMUs (32 vs 56) and ROPs, which the 9800GT has more of than the 9600GT.

EDIT: Oh wait, were you joking?

The core clock is the running frequency of the TMUs (32 vs 56) and ROPs, which the 9800GT has more of than the 9600GT.

EDIT: Oh wait, were you joking?

I hope he was, the 9800GT beats the 9600GT in just about every benchmark, the 9600GT is inferior to the 8800GT, which is basically what the 9800GT is, a rebranded 8800GT...

4850 >> 9800GT >> 8800GT >> 9600GT...

sorry fellas, I had to slip my card in there somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom