Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Help me choose from these laptops

I'm a casual gamer, mostly just play sports simulation games and an occasional RTS game. I was hoping with my next laptop to be able to play Oblivion and Fallout 3. I also want a wireless-compatible laptop, and maybe around 200 GB. I found 4 strong options. Which do you think I should go with?

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS4530-5627 NoteBook AMD Mobile Athlon 64 X2 QL-60(1.90GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 2GB Memory 160GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9100M G - Laptops / Notebooks
HP Notebook 15.4" LCD, AMD Athlon X2 QL-60 Dual-Core, 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive
Best BlackFriday Deal: HP 15.4 Laptop: Dual Core T3200, 2GB, 160GB, Vista Premium
Best BlackFriday Deal: Toshiba 15.4" Laptop: Dual Core, 3GB, 160GB

EssenDoubleOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Help me choose from these laptops

Do you absolutely need a laptop? Fallout 3 isn't too difficult to run. But, it could be a challenge on most laptops. Do you do anything else except play games? What exactly is your budget? I'll look around on other sites.

rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan23 View Post
Do you absolutely need a laptop? Fallout 3 isn't too difficult to run. But, it could be a challenge on most laptops. Do you do anything else except play games? What exactly is your budget? I'll look around on other sites.
Well, I don't NEED one, but if I'm going to be buying a new computer, it ought to be a laptop. I'm a student and it makes more sense than to buy a new desktop. That being said, I run a few statistical programs, like SPSS, that could use a fair amount of computer power. I don't do any video editing or graphics design. I would like to spend between $400-500, I'm hoping to take advantage of Black Friday and get one now. Primarily, I'll use the computer for internet and word processing purposes, but I could get a laptop for a couple hundred bucks to do that. I'd rather spend a little bit more and be able to play games like Fallout 3, Spore, and some Command & Conquer games too.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Those games require a bit of power. I'm not sure how many you'll find for $500, that will fulfill your requirements. I say, save up a few hundred dollars more. This would give you O.K. results, I guess. You will have to play on lower settings for most games.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115493
Old 11-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
Solid State Member

Quote:
Those games require a bit of power. I'm not sure how many you'll find for $500, that will fulfill your requirements. I say, save up a few hundred dollars more. This would give you O.K. results, I guess. You will have to play on lower settings for most games.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115493
So all of the original options aren't any good for gaming? I won't use the laptop primarily for gaming, but I want to at least be able to run some games. All of the options seem to have solid dual-core processors and RAM is easy to upgrade. Is it the video cards that are holding them back?
Old 11-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

They would be fine to run your programs. Yes, the graphic cards are holding them back. This will do you nice. It's more expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220303
Old 11-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
Solid State Member

Quote:
They would be fine to run your programs. Yes, the graphic cards are holding them back. This will do you nice. It's more expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220303
Hmmm...That's almost twice what I was hoping to pay for a new laptop. It's hard to justify paying that much for one or two games that I'd play. What if I were to get one of the original options and just buy a top-of-the line video card separately?