Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Help me choose a processor

I am really confused now as to what to get for my cpu on my upcoming build. I was heading towards the X2 until i read a post comparing it to the Pentium D. And the post was filled with arguments and Im sure there was good info in there but I didnt wanna read through all of the stupid arguments. So my question is... X2 3800, X2 4400 or go with a pentium d. I will be using the computer for a bit of gaming, music editing, some video editing and some other stuff. I am not too familiar with the Pentium Ds, but as of now I always thought the x2 was better.

EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Help me choose a processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
I am really confused now as to what to get for my cpu on my upcoming build. I was heading towards the X2 until i read a post comparing it to the Pentium D. And the post was filled with arguments and Im sure there was good info in there but I didnt wanna read through all of the stupid arguments. So my question is... X2 3800, X2 4400 or go with a pentium d. I will be using the computer for a bit of gaming, music editing, some video editing and some other stuff. I am not too familiar with the Pentium Ds, but as of now I always thought the x2 was better.

Get an X2 3800 and overclock it to 2.5 ghz. That is a speed slighter higher than the X2 4800+ and you'll save 500 dollars.

RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

But is the toldeo core any better then the manchester? And can i overclock it to 2.5ghz with stock fan?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
But is the toldeo core any better then the manchester? And can i overclock it to 2.5ghz with stock fan?

Well, the Toledo is a bit better than the Manchester...

Overclocking to 2.5 on stock fan wouldn't be a good idea. On the XP-120 you could reach that speed. Heck, even the XP90 is enough.
RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67

Well, just to clarify, the arguing was between me and Quinton if I'm thinking about the right thread. But, I made a new thread comparing the Pentium D 955XE to the Athelon 64 X2 series CPUs. Check it out. It's called, AMD Athelon 64 FX60 Toledo Review. I posted a lot of good stuff in I think for the most part. Give that a look to see how the X2 series CPUs stack up towards the Pentium D series processors.

Also, try taking a look at the Opteron 170 Denmark. From what Quinton has said in a previous thread, it's quite amazing. So look into that one as well!
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:29 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

the XP-120 is officially discountinued. Your best bet right now will be a XP-90c or a TT BT and Scythe Ninja. And 3800+ do come in Toledo and Manchester. Its just luck of the draw.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:40 AM   #7
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67

What is the XP-120? A core? And what is TT BT? Man you guys use confusing stuff sometimes...
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:01 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

XP-120 = thermalright heatsink. TT BT = Thermaltake Big Typhoon.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:09 AM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

That's a shame...the XP-120 is nice. I'm using the SI-120, and it's pretty nice too. The Thermaltake Big Typhoon is probably the only good Thermaltake cooler...the rest suck.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
Daemon Poster

So back on topic... what do i go with?