Help me choose which one

blackrainbow

Solid State Member
I am thinking of buying a new grapgics card (but im kinda on a budget, dont wana spend more than £50)

I found a few but which one is better for playing games like UT and Halo.
Sapphire RADEON 9600SE 128Mb DDR (£49.91)
OR
PNY GEFORCE FX5700LE 128MB (£49.99)
OR
PNY GEFORCE FX 5200 (£42.70)

Can some one please tell me which one I should go for, feel free to recommend any more.
dont know if this helps but its info on my computer
WIN XP
Graphics Support: AGP 4X
Chipset: VIA ProSavageDDR KM266
512MB RAM
60GB HD

i am getting GeForce 5200 256 MB so i would recommend that! you will have to wait for me to get the card before i can tell you if its any good.

Personal i would go for the:
PNY GEFORCE FX 5200 (£42.70)

Reading your sig the Graphic cards wouldn't work becasue they are AGP 8x times and you have 4x so you can have none of them cards. (not sure about the first one?)

I went on to curical.com they scanned my computer and told me that I would be able to have the Radeon 9600SE along with the following

128MB Crucial Radeon 9800 Pro £151.56
128MB Crucial Radeon 9600SE £51.69
128MB Crucial Radeon 9200SE £32.89
256MB Crucial Radeon X800 Pro £231.99
128MB Crucial Radeon 9600XT 89.99

Is the Radeon 9600 SE any good for games?

only telling you that facts mate,. i wouldn't trust it, it would be a shame to buy it and find that it doesn't work. always check your motherboard support!!

the Radeon 9600 SE is not bad for games i would buy it. But its an 8x AGP.

what is the make and model of your motherboard i will find out for you if you want?

I have Elite Group (ECS) K7VMM+.
On the webpage it says
"We guarantee that the upgrades listed here are compatible with your motherboard"

At the moment I have a rubbish card S3 Pro Savage DDR so im looking for something much better but unsure as to which one.
Thanks

SO will the PNY GEFORCE FX5700LE 128MB will definatley fit in my comp?
Also I have read the my current graphics card is on board so is it a case of just plugging the new one in or do I have to do something to the other one?
Thanks for you help

it will fit but i will not work, please someone back me up here, an 8x AGP Card will not work with a 4x AGP Slot !!!!

I went on to there website (Nvidia) and in the FAQ section I found this

Will an AGP 8X graphics card work in a motherboard which only supports up to AGP 4X mode?

NVIDIA based graphic cards which support AGP 8x mode (Accelerated Graphics Port) follow the AGP 3.0 specification. The AGP 3.0 specification retains backwards compatibility with older AGP 4x technology. All NVIDIA Geforce and Quadro GPU's which support AGP 8x mode are downwards compatible with AGP 4x motherboards. When a graphics card which operates at AGP 8x mode is installed on a motherboard which only supports up to AGP 4x mode, the card will automatically switch to AGP 4x operation.

So I am confused now as to if it will fit and play :)

Back
Top Bottom