Help me build a gaming pc

5ton

Beta member
I really have no ideo how to build a pc. But im willing to learn. Im afraid to speen $700+ on a pc then have me mess it up building it wrong. I was looking at this prebuilt gaming pc. Most people say you can build a better one for cheaper. But thats if you know how.

This looks pretty decent(let me know if im wrong im new to this) Is this worth the money?

Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer Power 579Q6 Desktop PC Phenom II X6 1090T(3.2GHz) 4GB DDR3 1.5TB HDD Capacity AMD Radeon HD 6850 (1 GB) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Also some people say to buy a pc built and just upgrade the power supply and videocard. Is that hard to do and worth it?

thanks

PC building is truly very much easier than most people set it out to be. I know how daunting something can seem at first until you actually do it, but the best advice I can give you is practice first if you can. Then you'll get the confidence you need to do it.

There's just a few simple rules for building a PC 99% of the time really.

1) ground yourself before working on your parts / PC. The most universally accepted way to do this without a wrist strap is to leave the PC plugged in for a moment, touch a metal case component (Side panel, back panel, etc) and then unplug the power supply and work on the system. In my experience, this works fine, even with the servers I work on at work. Also be sure you're not on a shag carpet, or even lineoleum. Static can build on both surfaces and cause ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) which can kill parts with shocks you can't even feel (rubbing your feet on the carpet and touching someone is several orders of magnitude more powerful than even a simple shock that can kill PC parts. Most of the time, you'll never feel it)

If you can get access to a grounding wrist strap, it's pretty much the same principle, attach it to the PC, put it on, and when you've given it a few seconds, disconnect the power cord from the PC and start your work. In cases where you're not yet building anything, leave yourself attached to the case, and work on the system from that point, only plugging the power in after you've completed the build.

2) If you've played with Legos, or any type of "assembly" toy growing up, you can build a PC. Yes, absolutely serious. I showed my mom how to upgrade her system, and even my brother could do his when he was only 10.

3) As long as you read instructions books on things like how to insert processors and RAM, you really can't screw much up. If it doesn't go in on the first attempt, don't force it. Try it another way (with RAM, that's easy, just flip the stick and try again) Processors are usually keyed so they only sit one way. This is true for Intel AND AMD.

4) Relax! PC building is fun! I know as a veteran, it's easy for me to say that, but once you build your own, you'll never want to buy OEM/prebuilt again.

That being said, the system you linked is fine, and will serve you fine for a couple years. the graphics card is a little on the lower side, but it's still an AMD latest-gen and should be fine for just about every game out there right now.

5ton said:
Also some people say to buy a pc built and just upgrade the power supply and videocard. Is that hard to do and worth it?

Systems from OEMs like Dell or HP that might be the case, but iBuypower rarely puts OEM generic crap in their systems, so you shouldn't need to do that with the system you have linked here. You also have to be careful when you buy OEM systems, and pay attention to the warranty terms. Can you open the system to perform upgrades or does that void the warranty? those kinds of things.

That being said, if you want to buy the ibuypower and then use it to start your tinkering, it should be a fine system.

To build or not to build, that is the question.

The advantages of building

1. Lower initial cost on most systems, although might be minimal on basic systems costing less than about $450
2. Personal satisfaction
3. Better quality components
4. Acquisition of knowledge about computers and skills
5. Confidence in working on computer - and in doing upgrades
6. The big cost savings really comes after several years when you can upgrade instead of buying a new one. You can generally continue using the case, power supply, optical drive and operating system (depending on obsolesce on the latter) and maybe the graphics card (which you might already have updated anyway), and get just a new motherboard, CPU and memory at about half the cost of a new machine.
7. No vendor installed bloatware slowing down your system and taking up hard drive space for the life of the computer.
8. Having a complete BIOS that allows making changes and supports overclocking rather than one limited by manufacturer.
9. The ability to size components correctly so you don't later find out that when you want to upgrade a graphics card that you also have to upgrade and replace a power supply.
10. Membership in the eclectic group of BYOers - a very intelligent, affable, handsome, honest, trustworthy, loyal, kind, and modest group.
11.Bragging rights - be they as they may - of BYO - and all the chicks it brings - or vice versa if you are vice versa - or even just vice.

Of course there are disadvantages:

1. Time is the big one - you have to invest some time in configuration, purchasing components, assembling the PC, loading the operating system, testing it, and sometime trouble shooting problems. The actual assembly only takes about 1-2 hours for an experienced hand, for a newbie taking their time approximately 4-6 hours, assuming no problems, which do occasionally occur. But if you consider it a hobby and learning experience then this should not be a big issue.
2. Support and - if something goes wrong with the PC you don't have a convenient number to call, you have to fix it yourself, with help from forums like this.
3. Warranty - you have the individual component vendor warranties which are sometimes shorter than what is provided by a vendor selling complete systems.
4. No vendor to cuss at when things go wrong. If you enjoy being able to rage at someone for months the BYO is not for you – it is no fun raging at yourself.

Here's how simple it really is:

Youtube video showing how easy it is – with good general instructions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_E3ULURHkE&feature=related

Step by Step Instructions with Pictures
http://www.computerforum.com/104641-how-build-computer-step-step-photos.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

And two more options with detailed instructions:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Assemble_A_Desktop_PC/Assembly
http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/index.php

For more detailed instructions on installing a video card:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/install.html

Off course, most computer components also come with instructions for their installation, and the motherboard usually has a guide for plugging everything into it.

Now go back and re-read the advantages and build that thing. Or not.

The system you selected is a decent one for gaming at a reasonable price. I would recommend an Intel CPU based system over AMD at your budget level. Also you might consider CyberPower which also lets your pick components like iBuyPower. Its true that one option for low end systems is to purchase a system and upgrade the PSU and Video Card, although with CyberPower and iBuyPower it is just as easy to go with components you want and you save by not paying for the initial components that you would then throw away when you replaced.

You might also be interested in some satisfaction survery info
See the PC Mag Annual PC Customer Satisfaction Survey. Note that CyberPower ties for 3rd in overall ranking with HP, behind Apple (the perennial #1) and ASUS and ahead of Dell, Acer, Lenovo, Gateway, eMachines, and Compaq.

Chart
PC Magazine

Article
Readers' Choice Awards 2011: Desktops and Laptops - Desktops | PCMag.com

PassMark is a synthetic benchmark used to gauge overall effectiveness in running a generated application. I wouldn't put much faith into it. I use it from time to time when I'm on the rocks between two cards that I've found are basically the same, but it's not the entire story.

I only say the 6850 is where it is because of my experience with the 6xxx series cards. You have to get into the 69 territory to really see some substantial performance gains. If you think it runs fine, that's all that matters, and everyone else (self included!) should shut up. ;)

Back
Top Bottom