Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-09-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Question Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all, and thanks to whomever is taking the time to read this. I have recently restored my HP Pavilion 7125 back to working order. However, I want to keep working on it and upgrade some of its components. I'm still unsure about a lot of things so my questions are Where do I start with upgrades? Also, if I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive(because the one I have in it now is about a 1.6 G) can I just buy a compatible one and hook it up? I am so overwhelmed and would just like someone to briefly explain what I need to do.
Thanks a lot........

DoubleJ$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

well if you want your system to quicker, think about the processor and RAM. Your hard drive isnt massive so yes you might want to think upgrading that. What are you planning to use this computer for?

99nasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Default Reply to HP 7125

Thanks so much for responding. Well, I also have been looking at RAM for my computer because it only has 48 megs right now. You mentioned my processor and my HP Pavilion 7125 has a Pentium 133 Mhz processor. If I upgrade that, won't I need an entirely new chipset and motherboard? I am just planning to use this computer to play a couple basic games, surf the net, and probably store music. I know a couple of websites where I can get RAM but it is really expensive. I am not really looking to speed up my comp right now, just expand its capabilities. So, if you have any suggestions as to how to upgrade my processor or any other components that require upgrades, I would be most appreciative.
Thanks again, JJ......
Old 06-09-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
BSOD

Default Re: Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, to start, just a little technical note. The chipset comes permanently attached to the motherboard. Now, I think in your case that your computer is so old that you should start thinking about getting a completely new one. Even the cheap generic computers blast your specs. It would be a waste to really upgrade anything on that computer except the hard drive because the hard drive can be transferred to a newer computer if and when you get one. I doubt you'll be able to play any games on that. The little bit of RAM you have probably has a hard time with apps, let alone games. Especially assuming the graphics are onboard and, therefore, use the RAM. I'm going to assume that it's an older RAM type as well. Older RAM is almost always more expensive. A lot more. Also, if you want to play music, you'll need a much, much, much bigger hard drive. Depending on how much music you plan on having, at least 20GB+. I recommend 40. Hard drives are cheap, though, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'd say toss this box.
catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

First off before anyone should talk about upgrading they should visit the manufacturer's website and/or google their computer and see what can be updated.

There are a lot of "branded" computers that are not able to be updated at all or just by adding ram or optics.

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...&seqNum=9&rl=1
The above article states that your model has a 64mb limit on memory although you can put more in.. it slows down above 64mb.

http://www.morochove.com/watch/cw/ff60530.htm
that article gives you a run down on the original set up of your computer

And personally I think that you would be spending more money than the system is worth. I don't even think that you could donate it to charity.
Buy a low end computer before wasting your money as just a harddrive will cost you a third of what you can buy an Emachine for now adays.
lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
BSOD

Agreed.
catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
Baseband Member

Thanks. Your info has been helpful. By the way, I realize of course that I will spending more than its worth, but I already have a nicer computer other than this old hunk of junk. I was just trying to experiment on it and see what I could do. So would a new hard drive boost my performance along with new RAM? And if so, how would I upgrade to a new processor?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:11 AM   #8
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Duzz Send a message via MSN to Duzz Send a message via Yahoo to Duzz

anything new will boost your performance, i would recomend Ram First. Since this is your secondary Computer. Then i would look at CPU or HDD . Checking your specs always for compatability.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:29 AM   #9
Baseband Member

You have nothing usefull to say then say nothing.
chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:31 AM   #10
Baseband Member

See above comment.

chico is offline   Reply With Quote