Help with a loud computer...

Nilvoid

Beta member
Got an Averatec computer about a year ago. Everything was fine for a few months. It started to get louder. At first it was nothing. Now it's just horrible. Sometimes It will make noise from the time you start it till the time you turn it off. Other times It will be sporadic and make noise for a minute then stop then start again. Sometimes there is no noise at all. I've replaced the fan, cleaned the insides out, checked for parts that might be rattling, but haven't been successful. Maybe it's just the brand? I would greatly appreciate help.

Find the computer here: http://www.trigem.com/product/product_overview.asp?category=1&seq=73&tabgbn=spec

The sporadic part does sound like a drive, since drives only spin up to max revolutions when you read/write directly do them. Although, if the noise is full-on throughout use, that's odd, since a drive that is spinning at full speed for an entire session definately sounds bad, or very badly fragmented/full of errors.

Can you elaborate on the noise at all? does it sound like a grinding sound, or more of a whirring, or clicking?

Did you replace all of the fans in your computer?

It sounds like a processor/graphics card fan to me. It will spin at different speeds relating to how hot the CPU is.

Does the noise get louder if you're doing something CPU intensive?

Hop into Ubuntu and look at the Disk Utility and select your hdd. Look and see if it has any bad sectors.

Back
Top Bottom