Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Help with Linksys Adapter.

I had another thread not too long ago about cleaning out my computer. I backed up all of my media on an external HD and restored my computer to it's factory settings I have been using a Linksys Adapter to connect to my wireless system. however, I can't get it to hook back up after the restore and linksys wants to charge me for troubleshooting. does anyone have any suggestions? it is an hp a1250n desktop.

chris

dubydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Help with Linksys Adapter.

Hmm, you'll find you may have to input a code within IE or whatever browser you use to reconfigure the router again to the new setup. Not sure if it'll work but its worth a try.

It should be in the manual, and should be an IP address to type in to access it.

This may also help you trouble shoot:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../wireless.mspx

Old 11-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
In Runtime

have you reinstalled the driver for the wireless card?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
Golden Master

This is very easy to do and I would never pay Linksys. Already mentioned, check drivers. If you must, download new ones for your wireless adapter (from a working PC if you can--or find your install disc that came with your adapter). There are specific ones off of Linksys to know your model number of the adapter.

Then, there are other things you can try. Are there any error messages popping up? Security concerns? Look in your Device Manager. Is your wireless adapter displayed in there showing no problems? Physicallky check your cables and wireless postition. You'll be surprised how many times I service these, that they're accidently bumped ever so slightly out of it's socket. A simple reposition, boom, instant Internet again.

After that, you can do deeper into the router configurations. To do that, we're going to need to know what type of router is used (the make of it, like Linksys, Netgear, etc). Maybe the ISP is too.

At this point, you don't need to give out PC specs as it is irrelevant. It's obvious to me that it should work on your PC since you've mentioned it worked on there before the restore.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Solid State Member

ok. i went to linksys and downloaded the proper drivers for the adapter that have. which is the wireless-b model # WUSB11 vers. 2.8 so after i burn it onto a disk then load it and unzip it onto my computer i click in the setup icon. a small purple screen flashes. then nothing. so i tried opening another folder that was unzipped. found another liknsys icon and clicked on that. now an error comes up that says c:\program files\wusb11 wlan monitor\wlan.ini not found... i can't win. please help
Old 11-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Golden Master

It seems that the installation does not put the correct files in the correct places. The error is a result of the program looking for WLAN.INI in C:\Program Files\WUSB11 WLAN Monitor\.

If you have placed it in another directory (or it was installed elsewhere), the program will not work. You may need to locate and copy the WLAN.INI file to the path showing in the error and it should work fine. You should search your drive for WLAN.INI and place it in the right folders (or create the path). The Restore must have moved data around where it's not suppose to.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Solid State Member

nevermind. i plugged into a different usb port and now it works. any idea why it won't work in the other one i used previously? thanks again for the help
Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
Golden Master

Oh, lol. A physical connection.

You know, I have the same problem too!!! One of my USB port doesn't work while the others work just fine. My only guess is somehow, that port must have an internal short somewhere so that it is not effecting all the others. As long as the other one works, I guess I'm ok with that. Either that or that one USB port uses a faster or slower connection than all the others, but still, it should still detect the device and work if that was the case.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
Solid State Member

yeah... now i'm having a killer time getting my aftermarket video card to work. maybe i'll start another thread after i spend 5 hours trying to figure it out on my own, lol. i'm hoping it's just updating drivers online or something because i already installed them from the factory ati disk... we'll see.