Help! Lagy windows XP New installation

no but as soon as i install it, it goes SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOW LIKE FUCKIN 20 MINUTES TO START IT ALL UP

thats wrong. my 128mb ram 1.3ghz p4 runs XP at a decent speed. somethings wrong with that if u reformat and its like that, get linux!

You might want to try defragmenting the drive. You would be amazed at how fragmented even a new installation is. That might help with speed issues.

Placing the Windows disc in in bootup should format the drive before installing Windows and so the use of a formatter shouldn't be needed... Pretty weird if it doesn't

I posted something on formatting before which should help. You'll need a floppy drive though:

INSTRUCTIONS

(Make sure also you have everything backed that you want, because formatting will delete everything, leaving the computer therietically blank (only retrievable with special software, so make sure you do back up before this))

Put a floppy disc into the floppy drive, go to my computer and right click the A: drive (the floppy drive) and go to format. Format the disc. (hopefully you have a floppy disc, and if not, try inserting the win 98 disc in at bootup (follow the instructions below to get it to have it as a bootup option before the hard drive, and see if it lets you to format the drive before installing the new windows, which it might do))

Then copy the following files to the floppy. They are hidden on the hard drive (usually C: ) To make them appear if you can't see them. Open the main drive, goto Tools, Folder options, View. Where it says 'hidden files and folders' select to show them.

- boot.ini
- ntdetect.com
- ntldr

Copy these files to the formatted floppy disc that you should now be able to see on the drive.
Use search if you can't find them, making sure that 'find hidden files and folders' is ticked in advanced as there might be alot of files on the drive.

Restart the system, but now you'll have to make sure that it is set to see the floppy drive first

Go into bios (usually by pressing del at bootup). Make sure that in the first menu i think, the first boot device is set to the floppy drive, the second to maybe the cd rom drive, and the 3rd to the hard drive.
Now save and exit

You are now set. It will notice the floppy disc in the drive and start to boot it because those files make it a boot disc. After all the loading you'll be left with this flashing on the screen

C:\ (or something like that, or it might say A:\
in which case just type

cd:\

Now it should create a new line saying C:\ (or your main drive with windows on it)

Type this after it:

format c: (or the drive letter your windows is installed on, most likely C)

it will say, are you sure? you type 'y'

It will now do it, and after it has finished, you'll be able to place the win 98 (in this case XP) disc in and install it :)

Hope this works

wow....now u wonder why i congratulated you in social lounge. cuz of stuff like that you do, chances are that will be quite helpful!

Thanks hehe:)... note though, that is pasted from a thread I made earlier. Turned out that i forgot you could use the WinXp disc, though in this case nacsracing274 cant, so hopefully it can help.

Back
Top Bottom