help installing xp on laptop?

lerner1

In Runtime
hello i have a toshiba satellite a55-s1063 i am trying to instal windows xp by booting from the cd, after i hit enter to install xp it ask me to agree to the licence agreement by hitting f8, now i know my f8 key works, but it dosent seem to work during that screen for some reason, i tried hitting f then 8 and also the f8 key, anyone have any ideas?

Try the install on another computer (don't actually install it just try and agree to the license.) It might be a dodgy disk which would cause it to hang after that screen.

nope not the disk, works on other computers

wats funny is a xp professional disk dosent ask for the licence agreement, so thats good, but i still wanted to install the home edition

Like Neodude said, if you have a usb keyboard, try that. If it doesn't work, don't give up hope. You might have to go into the BIOS and change a setting for it to recognize the USB keyboard (when you enter your BIOS, just search around, it shouldn't be that hard to find the option to change, if it's there.)

You shouldn't have to do the BIOS thing though.

Also, make sure your FUNCTION key isn't active. I don't have a laptop, so i'm not sure if the function key actually effects any of the F-keys, but that could be the problem. There should be an indicator light on your keyboard, if you have a function key, alerting you that it is enabled (similar to scroll lock, num lock, etc.)

Also, make sure your FUNCTION key isn't active. I don't have a laptop, so i'm not sure if the function key actually effects any of the F-keys, but that could be the problem. There should be an indicator light on your keyboard, if you have a function key, alerting you that it is enabled (similar to scroll lock, num lock, etc.)

I had the F-lock button problem:

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=85548

If you have an F-lock button, make sure f-lock is enabled to use the normal F keys.

I looked at the manual for your Toshiba, it doesn't look like it has an F-lock key.

Have you been able to try an external keyboard?

I know how frustrating it can be, I had the same problem until I figured out the F-lock thing. I wish yours was that simple.

Back
Top Bottom