Help installing more RAM

swamp_rattler

Baseband Member
I have had a Dell Inspiron 9300 for almost five years, with a 256mb RAM card in each RAM slot. I just received 2 1GB RAM cards (the max. allowed for this laptop in each slot) and installed them. But when I go to My Computer--> View System Information it says 1.73 Ghz, 1.00 GB of RAM.

How come it won't recognize it as 2 GB of RAM? I'm no computer whiz, but this seemed so simple and yet I'm doing something wrong! Here are some instructions that I followed:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6750045_add-memory-dell-inspiron-9300.html

The RAM I installed looks exactly like the previous RAM, but says "1GB" instead of "256MB." Hynix appears to be the make.

did you try to reseat the ram?...maybe a bad stick.try one stick at a time to see if both are being read.

How do I attempt to reset the RAM? Again, not too computer savvy, but I'll sure give that a shot if I can figure that out...

take the ram out than put back in, see if that works.if not, take out both sticks than put one back in, if it boots to windows than that stick good, than do the same to the other. you can also do what "vinman46" said DL memtest.

Back
Top Bottom