Help on installing fans

You don't need to cut up your case. One high performance fan in the back of the case and one or two in the front will do just fine. Look inside the case on the front wall just in front of the hard drives and see if that case has one or two mounting places for fans. if it does then get two fans and install them in those locations. You'll have to drop the front off to install them but that's simple. Normally a nosepiece is held on with 4 or six small screws. The front fans goes inside the case but the screws go in from the front. When you have those fans mounted up put the nosepiece back on. Three fans will not add much the power drain.
I don't really think you need any more than that. If you do however look in to another case. You can get good ones for around 60 or so US dollars.

Oh and the fan in the back blows out the back. The fans in the front draw air in so it blows accross the hard drives to help cool them off.
Man I could come back and edit this post all night long. But I noticed something else in the pictures. You may want to switch to round IDE and floppy cables. They offer lest restriction to the air flow. Also the power wiring could be sheathed with automotive split loom real cheaply.
I like the black split loom as it seems to make the wiring vanish and since it's round the air gets by it easier.

cantona said:
and the fan I put in there should it be an exhaust fan or should it bring air into the machine?

also is it bad for a CPU to be 55C after gaming?

You should have that fan as an intake to bring in cooler air from the outside. That way when the air comes in, it will blow onto your CPU. I would buy a fan first and mark where the holes will be and drill. That's it. Very simple to do.

thanx so munch for info guys.

so you think I need a fan? is 55C for a CPU after gaming that bad (48C when not doing anything)?

also with all this drilling or seti's idea of just taking the front panel off..does anyone know a site that has a guide with pictures?

thanx very much

a cheap way to get better airflow is rearrange the wiring in your case. From what i see, it is a mess, those IDE and PSU cables block airflow. 55C is way too hot. What kind of 3200+ is that? A Venice? Winnie? either way its too hot. For some high quality fans, i recommend tri-blade deltas or panasonic panaflos.

rofl, i have 1 cpu fan. all i do is keep side case open and have a REAL fan blowing into it.. keeps it quiet ;)

I have a winchester....and I think I will try to see if I can remove one of the panels off the front today...I will let you know how I go and then maybe you could help me choose a fan/s.

thanx very much.

sorry no heatsinks...I just am looking for a good quality fan that I can stick in the front of my PC so it will pull air over the cpu etc.

Thanx

Back
Top Bottom