Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-20-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Unhappy HELP!!! illegal windows xp

guys and girls,

a friend of mine ripped me off - i paid around $250 for a 'cheap' version of windows xp, which i thought was the proper copy, but recently i have been connecting to the internet and have pop up windows saying i have an illegal copy and it also says somthing about the registry.

what can i do? i never wanted a 'cheap' illegal copy, as i wanted to be able upload the latest patches and upgrades. a friend of mine told me i can purchase the update of win XP for around $120, which will give me a new product key that i can go online and register and update patches successfully. is she right? i dont want to trust 'friends' anymore, i dont want a pirating fine!!!!

thanks a million

sunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:58 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to jac006
Default Re: HELP!!! illegal windows xp

Wow... which friend was this? Man... no offense... unless you want to sue him for selling you an illegal copy, which you can do... I suggest you just go out and buy a legal copy of windows. I'm sorry. Illegal copies are just not in my range. Sorry but that's all I can say. If you really want your money back... seriously... sue this dude. I would. Seriously...

Old 09-20-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
In Runtime

$250 for windows?
512 corsair xms
nickbuddy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Amorssang Send a message via MSN to Amorssang

Yeah? 250 bucks for a "cheap" windows? Damn dude, what a hoe. Was it Home or Pro? Tell this lady she can have her frieken cd back and that you'll gladly accept a new one that works for free. Or else, you sue. I'm not a big fan on suing but...I don't know, it would never go to the courts I'm sure, you could probably settle out of court. Not trying to sound like I have a lot of money or something, but its 250 bucks...which is not a lot to sue over in court but hey...
Amorssang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:25 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

WOW. You have been duped. 250 for a cheap copy plus 120 for a pirated update is way too much dough.

I don't really understand what your dillemma is right now. Isn't it clear?? You go to that female friend of yours, and threaten to sue. She can get massive, and i mean MASSIVE fines for that. Microsoft doesn't take lightly to being pirated.

I suggest before going to her house, you shoudl go print out a case of a person who tried to pirate Microsoft, and than give it to her as a letter. She'll get the message.
1024 Kingston Hyperx Ram
TibsBeatAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:34 PM   #6
In Runtime

yea microsoft means business in these kinds of things
512 corsair xms
nickbuddy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:43 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunts
guys and girls,

a friend of mine ripped me off - i paid around $250 for a 'cheap' version of windows xp, which i thought was the proper copy, but recently i have been connecting to the internet and have pop up windows saying i have an illegal copy and it also says somthing about the registry.

what can i do? i never wanted a 'cheap' illegal copy, as i wanted to be able upload the latest patches and upgrades. a friend of mine told me i can purchase the update of win XP for around $120, which will give me a new product key that i can go online and register and update patches successfully. is she right? i dont want to trust 'friends' anymore, i dont want a pirating fine!!!!

thanks a million
Did you know that the word "GULLIBLE" is not in the most popular dictionaries...
Old 09-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #8
Baseband Member

i know, what a dog.

atm, im not interested in sueing - its a family friend, and it gets quite technical. i wish i could though. some people!!!!

how do i fix this problem. its windows XP professional. i contacted my universities book shop to try and see if they sell software a little cheaper, as im a full time student and it does hit the pocket a bit. he (the person in the bookshop) told me that i can purchase the update for around $130, which comes with a new product code - that long ID regester code. is this correct? if i purchase this update, can i regester windows on their website and safley download their patches and updates??? i cant afford to spend any more unnecessary money.

Thanks again
sunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to jac006

No offense... but family friend or not... *sigh* that's some extreme stuff. You can't be a softie on these things... I'm sorry, but I don't see how you're letting this go... But yes, the update should work. At least to my knowledge...
Old 09-20-2005, 11:31 PM   #10
Wizard of Wires

Jeeze man, did this person at least give you a kiss? Cause you sure got screwed.
You can buy OEM copies of xp home and pro for around $100USD. I think sueing this person is pointless. You're going to get in the soup as badly for receiving pirated software. So unless you want to shoot yourself in the foot just chalk it up to a $250.00 lesson learned.
Like the guys said just get a new legal copy and start over.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote