Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Beta Member
Exclamation Help with Home Server Build

Hello all,

I am currently considering buying the components to make a home server. Let me first describe what I am hoping to have the server do!

The server will be located in my home (as the title suggests) and will primarily exist to provide a networked storage location. I am hoping to also set up a section of the hard drive to act like a time capsule (for mac backups). I also hope to host something like ownCloud.org | Your Cloud, Your Data, Your Way! on my server. On top of that I am hoping to possibly use it to run the occasional minecraft server for my lan network when needed.

So now you know my goals, I do have a few questions. What hardware would be needed to run this? Is linux my best option for OS? How can I set up the time machine backups (I have heard of an issue: drive wiping when it gets full?).

I consulted a friend and we pieced together this layout:
Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 6.48.27 PM.jpg

I then found out that shipping to canada would not be possible and that new egg for canada cost a lot more.

I then decided to buy parts from everywhere (I found many on Ebay). So here is my current list.

Mother Board
Foxconn AM3/AMD 880G/DDR3/A
Foxconn Socket AM3/AMD 880G/DDR3/A and V and GBe/MATX Motherboard A88GMV: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Athlon II x2 270 @ 67$ + 22$ SH = 89$
AMD ATHLON II X2 270 65W 2BM 3400MH: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Hard Drive
3TB WD Green Caviar Drive (WD30EZRX) @ 135$
Canada Computers | Hard Drives | WD Green (WD30EZRX) 3TB SATA3 6Gb/s 64MB (OEM)

2TB WD Green Caviar Drive (WD20EZRX) @ 105$
WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EZRX: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Ram Memory
Corsair 8gb Vengeance White
Amazon.ca: Buying Choices: Corsair 8 GB Vengeance Low Profile PC3-12800 1600Mhz 240-Pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit CML8GX3M2A1600C9W (White)
>> Corsair 8 GB Vengeance Low Profile PC3-12800 1600Mhz 240-Pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit CML8GX3M2A1600C9W (White): Amazon.ca: Electronics

Power Supply
Corsair Building Series cx4302
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Not sure on case.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, if you have any information that would help me please post bellow,

baffu is offline   Reply With Quote