ok my hard drive died so i bought a new 160g one
i installed it all good
installed windows me
then put in the xp upgrade disk
im an ideot so instead of upgradeing i installed it as a dual boot
so i got to questions for u
1. how do i get ride of windows me so i can just load up xp
and 2. when i installed every thing i have to partions for some reason
c disk and D disk (d disk is 2 gig and its for xp it says)
and c disk is 120 g but its in fat 32 and evey time i try and reformat it, it fails
wat do i do to reformat it

put your xp disk in, and boot up from it, and when everything loads from it, there should be a partition manager. lets you delete everything on the computer. do that.

it is possible to have two sets of the same OS on a hhd on the same partition. to do so boot up with the restoration cd. then delete all parttions on the hhd. then make a new one using the NTFS format.

after the partition is made, let windows install a new copy of xp, after everthing is done loading a fresh copy of windows. reboot the computer with the XP cd in the tray.

after the cd loads it will start loading windows again, let it. then it will tell you that you can not install windows xp in the same parttion, but you can. all you have to do is change the directory where you want it istalled.

XP bt default goes to C:/windows , but all you have to do is give the new directory like this C:/windows/two. now install windows again. after it installs windows and loads windows. you will now have a dual boot system.

to load up either one do this:

right after you computer logo disappears, keep pressing the esc key on the keyboard (it might be the delete key), this should bring up the startup menu screen. in wich you can choose what windows to load up.

it should look like this:

windows xp professional
windows xp professional

now remember that the one on the bottom will be the 1st copy of windows installed at C:/windows

and the second copy is installed at C:/windows/two

now you can scroll up or down and pick wich xp you want to load..

that's it...

i want to do one thing and one thing only
detled me and load up xp home edition with the cd drive in NTFS
thats it
can some one give me a step by step instruction on how to do this please

and when i boot up with the xp cd how do i get to it please be spacific
thanks you

Back
Top Bottom