Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default HELP: Firefox popping open IE windows

Hi all,

I'm going crazy here trying to figure what i have. I mostly use Firefox on my laptop and over the last few days i knew i had accidentally got something thats causing problems. Whenver i use Firefox or even when using windows explorer, Internet explorer will pop open to a site. It's my work laptop so i can just install/uninstall anything i choose, but i have been able to do a number of things.
1. Mcafee Enterprise AV is installed and i ran a complete scan and it found nothing.
2. Ran Tren micro housecalls online scan and it found nothing.
3. Downloaded and ran Malwarebytes and ran it (quick scan) and it found 42 items which it removed. Still the problem occurs.
-During this process my McAfee AV was going nuts that it found virus after virus (Vundo) which it cleaned.
Still the problem occurs.
4. Did a full scan with Malwarebytes and it found 3 more things. Still the problem occurs.
5. went through all my startup programs and eliminated anythign unecessary. Went through all the processes in task manager to see what was running and everything there was considered safe.
5. Ran VundoFix to search for this virus and it found nothing.

This problem is killing me b/c normally i can find these sorts of things pretty quickly. But this one i cannot nail down.

The one good thing that after doing all these scans and removing other items the computer functions better...LOL.

Any help PLEASE!

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ [939 Socket] W/ ASUS "A8N-SLI Premium" (OC'd @2.4ghz) | 560W Silverstone Spider PSU | Kingston 1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory | Dual MSI Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 128-bit PCIe @555/1111 in SLI | Samsung 19" LCD 930B (8ms) | Western Digital 200 GB SATA II (x2) | LG Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
d_source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: HELP: Firefox popping open IE windows

In Internet Explorer, click Tools...Internet Options...Programs Tab, and check "IE should always check to see if it's the default browser". Restart IE and Firefox setting it as ur df browser and when ie restarts Choose "NO" for default browser, and uncheck the button. This should disable IE and those popups just might go away/open in firefox.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

^^^I tried this. I made FF my default browser, now it opens up FF pages instead of IE pages. At least now i know its targetting my default browser. Any other suggestions?
BTW, i also ran Ad-Aware scan (lavasoft) and its still there.
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ [939 Socket] W/ ASUS "A8N-SLI Premium" (OC'd @2.4ghz) | 560W Silverstone Spider PSU | Kingston 1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory | Dual MSI Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 128-bit PCIe @555/1111 in SLI | Samsung 19" LCD 930B (8ms) | Western Digital 200 GB SATA II (x2) | LG Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
Old 12-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
In Runtime

What types of ads are displaying? Do you use LimeWire/Any other filesharing program? Try opening up taskmgr (ctrl+alt+del) and see if any strange programs are running.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

This is my work laptop. I dont run any kind of filesharing program on it.
I had already gone through and looked up every task, one by one, in task manager to see if any raise any flags and none did.
The last 3 are:
http://downloading-now.com/googleearth/2/
http://www.jokeroo.com/webisodes/cocacola_episode2.html
http://7_51559313.admarketplace.com

These all while i was surfing google maps api examples.