Help with DVI cable, DVI splitter and graphics card.

FriedLobster

Beta member
Hi,

I would like to hook my pc up to my 37" TV.
I thought that if i bought a DVI splitter then an extra DVI to HDMI cable i could then link the PC and TV together?
But i want to be able to display two seperate screens, rather than my TV just being a copy of what is on my PC using this equipment is this possible?

Thanks for any help.

I don't believe that would work. You would need a separate connection for the TV from the video card to do that.

If your video card has dual DVI outputs, you would need one DVI connection to your display, and the other DVI connection going to your TV.

Your setup wouldn't work, two display signals can't go through one DVI cable. You would two DVI cables, like Atomic Rooster said.

Most of these newer TVs have the monitor plugin, Not DVI but the older blue looking one? I use the converter for that and it works great.

But reading this
http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/602530-computer-tv-using-dvi-hdmi.html
This guy looks like hes done it. (I think)

So my current plan was to go out and get a DVI to HDMI connector. This currently works much better, my graphics card able to identity the TV and everything, however the text is blurry.

I am talking about small text in both web browser and in video games. The small text is somewhat jagged and blurry.

Thanks for the help, if the DVI splitting won't work will using a VGA cable going to my TV work, but still having a main monitor image displayed via DVI?
I have a VGA and DVI port on my Graphics card.
If this won't work can anyone suggest what would?

Thanks again for any help.

If your tv has a vga port yes. Otherwise use the DVI to the tv and the vga to your monitor. But yes, that would work.

Hi thanks for the help, i've done this and it works but i was wondering if there is a way of showing two sererate screens (not cloned) instead of just a stretched version on the two screens?
So say two versions of the same desktop but being able to run one different full screen application in both screens?

Thanks ahead for any help.

On my computer right now I have visual studio 05 open on the left and visual studio 08 on the right screen both maximized if that's what you mean. To do this when you have both screens hooked up right click the desktop, go to properties, settings, select the screen that is not active, and check "extend desktop to this screen" and hit apply. You should be able to drag things to the other display after doing this.

Hi i've tried to do this but it won't give me the option to choose the two screens just gives me information on the monitor i mainly use. Im using the two screen from one graphics card, using DVI and VGA.
Like i have said ive been able to stretch my desktop, but i would like to be able to view two seperate desktops?

Thanks for your help.

What do you mean by 2 separate desktops? Like having 2 completly independent desktops (i.e. 2 taskbars, 2 start menus, etc)?

Back
Top Bottom