Help. Dell Laptop takes 15 min to boot

Pieterek

Beta member
After powering the machine on, i see the boot screen, and then I get to watch a blinking underscore for fifteen minutes before the windows boot logo even comes up.
I can't format the laptop because it never asks me if I want to boot from a windows disk when I start it up with the disk in drive. When I hit F2 for setup and F12 for Boot menu, it just proceeds to the blinking underscore as well and nothing ever happens. I'm able to boot it without the wait if I hit F6 and boot into safe mode. That is all. please help and thank you. The laptop is a Dell XPS M140. It's not mine so I don't know how it came to be like this. thanks, pete

change the hard disk format to compatible, not ahci, then the hardisk can be formated.
and
in system, click run, enter 'msconfig', un-select boot items, that will be ok too.

Make sure there is no USB HDD or large capacity flash disk installed on the laptop when the laptop is powered on.

Also reseat the HDD.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech Manager

what os are you running? Have you got the latest service pack and hot fixes installed?? When the screen hangs does the hard-disk activity light come on and stay on?? If yes there is something eating your disk i/o

Back
Top Bottom