[HELP] CPU over heating, Need help please. Will it explode?

joeey.s

Solid State Member
Hello guys,

I`ve got a pretty old custom built desktop PC which is about three years old now.

I`ve recently had my CPU over heating causing my computer to randomly shut down. I then left my computer for 2 months straight without using it and I decided to come back to it today. Nothing has changed. My motherboard is a Asus P5P-800SE, with a Intel Pentium 4. 3.2GHz Processor. I have no idea what my graphics card is but it only has a heat sink and no fan. I have a 8cm Thermaltake fan below the PSU and a 12cm fan on my case cover. My PSU is a Shaw 550Watt. I don`t know the specific name. I`ve pretty sure the case is a Shaw as well.

Well here is my main problem.. I need to get the computer working again to do very urgent things. Can you guys help me in anyway without purchasing a whole new setup or without buying a new Processor.. I wouldn't mind buying paste or something, but I need all your suggestions to determine my next step in saving my desktop.

I hope you guys can help me.. If you need any further information about my Desktop or whatever, feel free to post a post below and I hope I can get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks in Advance..

Joe

Your CPU shouldnt explode...

What I would reccommend is for you to take the heatsink off, apply a THIN layer of thermal paste and make sure the heatsink and fan is seated correctly.

Then download a program (speedfan) which checks your CPU temps to make sure its ok.

If all else fails, I shouldnt worry. All your data is safe on the hard drives and you could always bung them in a friends computer to get the info off of them.

Yeah, take the heat sink off, wipe away any old paste and then reapply it on top of the CPU.

Don't just wipe it away, you must properly clean the IHS and the HSF base with isopropyl alcohol.

Don't just wipe it away, you must properly clean the IHS and the HSF base with isopropyl alcohol.

Yes, you need to properly clean it. Get a coffee filter and some isopropyl alcohol like Worship said and clean it all off till it gets nice and shiny. The reason for the coffee filter is it doesn't have any lint or fibers that can stray off while wiping it. If the heatsink doesn't come off the CPU on the motherboard by twisting it gently then you might have to risk pulling the whole Heatsink out.

I had a really old computer(5 Years old) and the thermal compound was so dried out I had to use a hammer and chisel to knock it off the heatsink. It still works, but I risked getting one of the pins of the CPU being pulled out because I pulled it off without having the ability to unlock the CPU lock/leaver.

Can anyone tell me how my Crappy Shaw PSU contributes to the overheating of my processor?

Here are my for coming actions

1. New Thermal/Heat Paste

if that doesn`t work then

2. Maybe a new PSU

3. Then maybe a new CPU Fan

4. Imma give up and throw out my computer

Back
Top Bottom