Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Help! Computer Troubles!

I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 small form factor computer. A while ago the mobo busted so I got a new one. The mobo is exactly the same as the old one (except not busted). I installed it and ALL the fans turned on. However, the power button was glowing orage, and the light beneath it was glowing green. The light inside the computer on the mobo is also orange. The PSU works fine. What could be wrong with my computer???

Also: Nothing comes on the monitor at all.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Help! Computer Troubles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depja View Post
I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 small form factor computer. A while ago the mobo busted so I got a new one. The mobo is exactly the same as the old one (except not busted). I installed it and ALL the fans turned on. However, the power button was glowing orage, and the light beneath it was glowing green. The light inside the computer on the mobo is also orange. The PSU works fine. What could be wrong with my computer???

Also: Nothing comes on the monitor at all.
Sounds to me like you don't have the power cables hooked up properly. make sure the CPU power plug is in right, and the main 20+4 pin connector is seated correctly.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
Sounds to me like you don't have the power cables hooked up properly. make sure the CPU power plug is in right, and the main 20+4 pin connector is seated correctly.
Considering you aren't getting a BIOS boot-up at all, it probably is the configuration of cables...or dell sending out parts DOA again (horror stories I've heard). Reseat all of your cables. If this doesn't work, you probably got a bad mobo replacement.

Desktop 2: Windows Home Server | Western Digital 500 GB x2 | Hitachi 1 TB Backup Drive | AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (still runs like a charm) | 2 GB PC-3200

Laptop: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit | Core 2 Duo P8400 | 9800 M GTS | 320 GB 7200 RPM HDD | 17" WXGA | 4 GB DDR3
ndg2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Does is have the diagnostic lights on the back? If so, what do they show?
Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Because its a compact computer there are no diagnostic lights.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:12 AM   #6
Baseband Member

If all of the cables are seated correctly and everything is hooked up as it should be, then the motherboard is bad. Call Dell and talk to them about it, they'll be able to either help you figure out what's wrong with it or send you a new (REALLY not busted) motherboard.
treythomas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Sounds like a DOA (dead on arrival). That can happen with MoBo's. As it's been said, double check your cables to make sure (not just on the MoBo but also on the HDD). Then call Dell or where ever you got it from and tell them.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Baseband Member

Ok thanks everybody ill try replugging the cables, then I guess ill call dell =(.