Help! Computer shuts off in the middle of game

ok I monitored the video card and it was at 46 degrees C just before it shut down. Not to sound like an idiot but where do you check the error log in Windows 7, this is my first time using it so i'm still trying to find my way around

ok I monitored the video card and it was at 46 degrees C just before it shut down. Not to sound like an idiot but where do you check the error log in Windows 7, this is my first time using it so i'm still trying to find my way around

If you go into the control pannel, then administrative tools you should see the event viewer.

If you could also humor me and make sure the system is not set to just restart in case of a crash? sometimes 7 defaults to auto-restart so you can't see a blue-screen. To check, open the start menu, then right click on "computer" and click on properties. On the screen that pops up (it shows your CPU, total RAM etc) click on the "advanced system settings" on the left. A new screen will pop up. click on the "settings" button in the "startup and recovery" section. On the new screen that pops up make sure "Automatically restart" is not checked. Press OK to close all windows.

Also, I'd make sure you have the latest drivers for your system installed. If you used the ones off of the CDs, odds are they are already horribly out of date.

so i disabled the auto restart on error and the game runs fine now, I'll keep an eye on the error logs to make sure it isn't anything critical. I greatly apprectiate everyones help i've been waiting awhile to play this game and now i finally can. Thanks again

Well I apperently celebrated too soon because it is still restarting. For some reason it ran fine for the one game but it is now doing the same thing. Even with the restart on error disabled it still reboots the computer. I don't get any kind of error before it occurs and the only errors in event viewer are after the computer turns back on and refer to the fact that it powered down for an unknown reason so they don't really help.

That'll make this really hard to diagnose.

Try running furmark and see what happens. Be sure to set it for fullscreen and the max resolution your monitor supports. I suggest burn-in mode.

Prime95 would be good as well.

So I found that the problem is being caused by the screen saver. For whatever reason when the game runs the computer decides to try and turn the screen saver on and that is when the computer reboots. If I disable the screen saver the game runs no problems. Any ideas what would cause this to happen?

So I found that the problem is being caused by the screen saver. For whatever reason when the game runs the computer decides to try and turn the screen saver on and that is when the computer reboots. If I disable the screen saver the game runs no problems. Any ideas what would cause this to happen?
Haha, that's hilarious. Maybe it's trying to display the screen saver causing the video drivers to crash?

ok so I was incorrect about the screen saver causing the crash. It must have been coincedence because it is doing the same thing but it worked with no problems for about 2 days and I probably played for 6 to 8 hours and then i was out of town till today and when I came home and tried to play the game it did it again. So now I have no clue what would cause this because I don't think it would be a power issue since it ran for nearly 4 straight hours with no problem and a couple other times for shorter periods of time.

Back
Top Bottom