Help choosing RAM

cantona

Daemon Poster
Hello all,

I need some help buying RAM. I have never before bought RAM before or installed it. My system is as follows:

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2
Ram: 512mb DDR SDRAM PC3200 (200mhz)

If you need any more info please feel free to ask.

I want to have 2gb of RAM total. Ok, I thnk thats about it. As I said before I have never upgraded RAM before so I have no idea what I am doing. All help is appreciated.

Regards,
Cantona

If you decide to get ram you MUST get DDR RAM. DDR slower than DDR2 and DDR3. You can stick with DDR or you can upgrade your motherboard to one that can use DDR2 or DDR3.

thanks for replies guys. the g skill ram sounds good. will it matter that I already have 512mb of ram? also when I install them do they have to go in a particular combo etc?

thanks,
cantona

thanks so much guys. so just beofre I go and get that memory I think I should just check I am going to do it right.

So from reading that page you linked wol-va-rine I gathered to install two sticks of dual channel 1GB, I should take out my 512mb stick of memory and then install each 1gb stick side by side (one in green slot and one in purple slot).

Is this correct?

Cheers again,
Cantona

PS. Also if I wanted to add more memeory to that in the future would I be able to?

thanks so much guys. so just beofre I go and get that memory I think I should just check I am going to do it right.

So from reading that page you linked wol-va-rine I gathered to install two sticks of dual channel 1GB, I should take out my 512mb stick of memory and then install each 1gb stick side by side (one in green slot and one in purple slot).

Is this correct?

Cheers again,
Cantona

PS. Also if I wanted to add more memeory to that in the future would I be able to?

take out your RAM and install the new memory in the two green slots, that board seems to want those dimms populated first according to the chart...

thanks for the reply. are you sure wol-va-rine? I may be reading it wrong but it looks to me they want one in green slot and the other in the purple slot?

thanks for all your help,
cantona

thanks for the reply. are you sure wol-va-rine? I may be reading it wrong but it looks to me they want one in green slot and the other in the purple slot?

thanks for all your help,
cantona

"Always insert the memory modules into the GREEN slots first, and it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into the PURPLE slots while the GREEN slots are left empty."

that is a direct quote from the product page right underneath the chart, both green are also labeled channel A while both purple are labeled channel B, the actual chart is retarded, I have no idea why they put it there like that, it probably leads to some confusion...

Back
Top Bottom