Help choosing a new laptop

dbone

Baseband Member
I am ready to purchase a new laptop. I will be doing a lot of file sharing, internet, email, and some video editing. Wireless internet is a must. I will not be using this for gaming. I am still a little out of the loop on what i need as far as processor goes.
What type of wireless internet card works the best? Is there any brand laptop to stay away from? I am not trying to get carried away with price here. 1100-1200 is enough, although I have a few hookups where I can probbaly get 300-400 off a 1200 dollar laptop.
Someone please give me a little help.

i know the sony vaios are pretty good but a little warning if your looking for mobility that will have long battery life for those long trips stay away from the k-series they have the fastest processers in all there lines and are proble the fastest but since there up in the 3 ghz for a laptop the battery drains in literally 2 hours or less

If battery life is your greatest concern and gaming/performance aren't, then look for a "Mobile" processor. This could mean a Celeron M or a ridiculously superior Pentium M (Keep in mind that although the Pentium M may be a mobile processor, performance is not an issue for it). If you can't find a Sony that suits the proper budget I would suggest either Acer or Dell as other places to look at.

ASUS also makes some really nice multimedia and ultralight laptops that are really thin and portable.

If you want wireless, of which the faster and newest is Wireless G (8.0211g), then get a Sony VAIO VGN-FS115Z. I recommended this in a different thread, and my mate got one yesterday and he loves it. The Pentium M at 1.7GHz is good at gaming and uses not too much power. It also has built in Wireless G and B, which means whatever network you've got at home it can fit in. It costs £1,167, but that's with 17% VAT and we're usually ripped off over here:D IF you get afford it, get it.

Back
Top Bottom