help with choosing new graphics card

dktxx2

Solid State Member
hi, my current graphics card, 8600gt 1gb (i didn't buy it) has random crashing issues. ive decided that fixing it aint a priority, so i just am going to buy a new card. my budget is only 120 bucks, possibly up to 150 but only if at that price its leaps and bounds better then anything going for 120.

i play games like wow, oblvion, and i dont need max settings. high to medium will do.

my motherboard is asrock alliveNF5-esata2+
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=ALIVENF5-ESATA2%2B
my power supply a-power pure black 680 watt
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=APBK680&cat=PWR

anything else you need to know ill get for you asap. thank you in advance

I'm new and love this site but I would suggest taking a look for graphics cards on newegg and tigerdirect they both always have good deals on computer parts and at least 3 reviews for any item you may buy.

you could almost get by with a 9600 gt and have money left over. They go anywhere from 60-90$ on newegg

thx guys for the info. one more thing. i dont see a point in making a new thread so ill hijack my own i guess. ive done some more looking into things on my pc and ive noticed something.

speedfan and pc wizard are saying that my +12v is coming in at 8.6volts. ive tried looking up if thats a bad thing, but its not an easy thing to find. could that be the cause of my crashes? (i hope you understand what im talking about)

i plan on getting a digital measure device tomorrow to make sure its actually low and not just a bad reading.

thx guys for the info. one more thing. i dont see a point in making a new thread so ill hijack my own i guess. ive done some more looking into things on my pc and ive noticed something.

speedfan and pc wizard are saying that my +12v is coming in at 8.6volts. ive tried looking up if thats a bad thing, but its not an easy thing to find. could that be the cause of my crashes? (i hope you understand what im talking about)

i plan on getting a digital measure device tomorrow to make sure its actually low and not just a bad reading.

Mine comes in at 11.4. I don't know if that's usage or actual supplied voltage though.

Whoah, 8.6 is insane vdroop. Do you have a different PSU you can test on the same system?

BTW, whoever mentioned a 9600, the 4770 or 4830 are much faster and do not cost much more.

I suggest the 4830 over the 4770 in most cases though. It's usually cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom