Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Help choose an SSD

Hi their, i don't know that much about computer hardware, but I have been told that an SSD will greatly improve the speed of my computer, i have a dell inspiron 545 Inspiron 545 Desktop Details | Dell UK which is around 5 years old. i have 4gb ram (max 8gb) and an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.5ghz.

I dont want to pay alot of money but do want to get a good expereicne from my computer. i have found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&s=computers which is a great price and reads quite well.

Just wanted some thought from people who know more than me and if this will be ok in my computer

Regards

Stuart

swhdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:15 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Help choose an SSD

It won't hurt to put an SSD in but but what is the computer being used for? You will definitely see improvements in boot times if you will be storing your OS on it.

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #3
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
It won't hurt to put an SSD in but but what is the computer being used for? You will definitely see improvements in boot times if you will be storing your OS on it.
Yer i will be storing the OS on it, I am a web developer and sometimes will be given the option to work from home. It wont be very often that is why i dont want to pay a lot of money for anything but it needs to be useable so if i require a better ssd or even a better computer then that will have to be the option

Thanks for your reply
swhdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

The hardware that I put in my parents' computer is dated to about the same age as your system. Putting the SSD in theirs brought new life to that system like you wouldn't believe. I'm a firm believer in SSDs for the OS drive. The bang for your buck that you get (versus upgrading all components) is outstanding, and they've really come down in price.

I'd strongly recommend the Samsung Evo. It's a few bucks more, but very popular and very speedy. Grab the 250GB if you're only going to be running one drive in your computer (OS + storage), or just the 120GB should do if you only want to put your OS and programs on it, then keep your actual files on your current hard drive that's in your system now.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
In Runtime

Send a message via Skype™ to Craig Prince

Very well said Dude!