Help! Cant read hard drive!

saiello

Solid State Member
Hi All! I have what I think is a common problem but have not yet found a solution. I have added second hard drive that has critical data on it from another computer to my new computer. I installed XP on a FAT32 formatted boot drive on the new computer and the second drive was picked up, but I cannot view the data on the second drive i.e. it is not visible in Explorer. In Device Manager the drive is there and in Computer management it also shows up but is displayed as 'unallocated'. The boot drive was originally formatted as FAT32 so I converted it to NTFS using Partition Magic but this still doesn't solve the problem. What's gone wrong? How can I get access to the data on the second drive? Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks.

pull the hardrive out of the computer and run a strong magnet along the top of it, then reinstall harddrive, this sohuld work

That seems kinda, iffy, isn't magnet + computer = no good?

But I have no idea, so, try it if you want.

Hope you figure it out!

Omg dude i was kiding, DO NOT DO IT!!!
more than likely it will erase your whole hardrive if you do that, I repeat DO NOT HOLD A MAGNET TO THE TOP OF YOUR HARDDRIVE!!!!

lol yeah you only do that unless you want to do a quick erase of all the info on their.

Watch now he did it and he is going to blame you.

as i said this before ...you must make shure the partition on the hhd is set to active or your computer cannot read or write to it...

airiox said:
lol yeah you only do that unless you want to do a quick erase of all the info on their.

Watch now he did it and he is going to blame you.

he cant blame me, if anyone is that stupid to hold a magnet to a delicate piece of equipment like that then wow....
its like lets whip our processor chip at the ground, maybe it will work faster???

Don't worry, I'm not that f***ing stupid! If I was, then I'd deserve a wiped hard drive and I would have no place owning a computer, right? I should have said any HELPFUL suggestions, my mistake... Mr Mixx, how can I check if the partition is active if I can't see it in XP, is there an 'NTFS' version of DOS?

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom