Help :( Can't get computer to work

If your sure the computer is powering up completly, the video card seems at fault to me :(
If you have another video card to put in its place to test the other connections on the PSU, do so

I took the card out and tried to start it up the old way, and no luck
this is why its confusing me

GPU seems to be ok, motherboard has power, somewhere in here theres a fault

Im thinking HDD now, but i really have no idea

I am thinking motherboard, but I don't know. Listen very closely to see if you can hear your hard drive spinning up any, you could also be right about that.

Ok, you need to check ALL connections coming from the PSU. Make sure the main motherboard connector is in firmly. Also make sure that the CPU power cable is in (a seperate 4 pin cable sometimes).

I am thinking motherboard, but I don't know. Listen very closely to see if you can hear your hard drive spinning up any, you could also be right about that.

Ok, you need to check ALL connections coming from the PSU. Make sure the main motherboard connector is in firmly. Also make sure that the CPU power cable is in (a seperate 4 pin cable sometimes).

Started computer up, listened very carefully

HD started up and was spinning, made a few clicking sounds
when i powered the PC down, i could hear it slow down then stop, so i'm pretty sure it's being fed power.

Have you tried taking the BIOS battery out for a bit? Or if the motherboard has a CMOS reset switch, or jumper, resetting the BIOS?
This may help after a new piece of hardware has been installed, and should be done.

Have you tried taking the BIOS battery out for a bit? Or if the motherboard has a CMOS reset switch, or jumper, resetting the BIOS?
This may help after a new piece of hardware has been installed, and should be done.

I took out the CMOS battery, i'm going to leave it out for a few minutes

How do i reset the BIOS? I see a black cylinder, looks like it would be where it is , but dont want to fiddle with the wrong thing

Ok heres my last report for any ideas before i take her into the shop

:HD is running, but its functionality is questionable
:MOBO is recieving power, as is GPU
:Everything IS secure and recieving power
:Monitor however recieves no feed

I recieve no beeps of error, as i have tried to start it up without the HD plugged in, same with the RAM

What does this mean? Dead Mobo?

Taking out the battery will reset the BIOS given time. CMOS switches/jumpers speed this process up, which happens as soon as you move the jumper or move the switch. Taking the battery out will probably reset it slower, but it might work.

Thats all I can think of now, that would cause this to happen.

It really does keep pointing further and further towards a dead mobo, and the main reason I think that is because you say you can take all of the RAM out and the BIOS doesn't beep at you.

So, did you do any safety measures before you even opened the thing up? Were you on carpeted or hard flooring? Did you have anything like anti-static gloves/wrist-band, etc.. Or at least did you touch your PSU every now and then to discharge static? Did you drop anything into your PC like a really small screw that may have ended up between the riser screws and the case? What kind of clothes were you wearing? Cotton, wool, silk, nylon? Shoes or no?

It really does keep pointing further and further towards a dead mobo, and the main reason I think that is because you say you can take all of the RAM out and the BIOS doesn't beep at you.

So, did you do any safety measures before you even opened the thing up? Were you on carpeted or hard flooring? Did you have anything like anti-static gloves/wrist-band, etc.. Or at least did you touch your PSU every now and then to discharge static? Did you drop anything into your PC like a really small screw that may have ended up between the riser screws and the case? What kind of clothes were you wearing? Cotton, wool, silk, nylon? Shoes or no?
Have an antistatic wrist band i wore

Back
Top Bottom