Help With Building My Comp For The Love Of God!!! Its Killing Me And Locking Up!!!

reroutetoremain

Beta member
im trying to help my friend program his computer... and were having a bunch of trouble, maybe someone can help... We got his comp from tiger direct, barebones kit, a maxtor 160gb hard drive, and a dvd drive. At first we got everything together, reset the cmos, and started up. Everything was working fine besides a ringing noise. We didnt mess with the bios, and got past the prompts, to where it said insert boot disket. We inserted xp, home, and started to run it. It took about an hour, until we finnaly shut down the comp and tried again. This time it took about twenty minutes, and a screen (within the blue screen of death) said that it couldnt find a hard drive, (whcih was displayed as the slave in config. 1 on the bios). We know the bios is reading the drive, but i think it should be the master, where the dvd/cdrom is. Now, the comp gets to where it asked for the boot disket, but instead just locks up where it says... "Verifiing DMI pool data..... Update sucess" and thats where it wont stop freezing. Hopefully someone can help me find out why its locking up, and how i can finnaly get xp installed. Ive been trying for hours...

i posted this in the programming section too, no one get mad plz...

Re: Help With Building My Comp For The Love Of God!!! Its Killing Me And Locking Up!!!

Uh, not sure exactly what the problem is, but first, is the hdd sata or ide? Also, be sure any jumpers that your hdd and dvd drive might have are set correctly to what you need and make sure the hdd cable (the flappy one) is plugged into the primpary ide connector and the dvd drive is in the secondary. Just read the manuals and other instructions since I don't know much info on the hdd or mobo or dvd drive and make sure all the cables are in the right spot.

Re: Help With Building My Comp For The Love Of God!!! Its Killing Me And Locking Up!!!

Well, if you only have the one hard drive, the jumper on the back of it should be set to 'master'. There's also a 'cable select' mode, but you won't need that with only one drive.

If the ATA cable (the big, flat one) that connects to your hard drive has two connections available (it probably does), make sure the hard drive is connected to the plug on the end of the cable. Also be sure that your BIOS says that the drive is master and not slave.

If it still freezes, then there might be a hardware conflict somewhere, but I'd need more info to figure that out.

ill try the switch, but the ata goes to both the cd and the hard drive, and we tried switching the end onto the harddrive, but then it wont reach to the cdrom... so yeah.. thanks though.

Then you will have to move the HDD or the CD drive so as for them to fit. Now the HDD must fit on the end connection and the other end of the cable must fit in the connection closest to the CPU.

you should probably not have a hard drive and a cd rom on the same ide channel, try this...plug your hard drive cable into the connector on the motherboard that says "HDD" and leave it. get another ide cable and plug it into the connector right beside that one and connect it to your dvd drive. now make sure that the jumper on your hard drive is in the "master" position and that it is connected to the connector on the end of the cable. on your dvd drive, also make sure the jumper is on "master" and make sure it is plugged into the connector on the end of the cable.
fire it up, start over with your windows xp install and let it rip.

Back
Top Bottom