Help on Building a Dell Laptop?

ionscorp

Baseband Member
For my 21st birthday my mother is giving me a dell laptop. I am allowed to pick it, but it must come from Dell.

She is allowing me to spend up to 1300$ on a laptop, but I am unsure what to choose.Would anyone mind building one for me on their website? I need one that will be able to play any and all games.

It must stay in that price range, and I appreciate the suggestions/help.

Thanks

It HAS to come from Dell? Fail...

I'd grab the base model Studio XPS 16. Right at $1300, and should be ok for gaming. It should play most games, but probably not on full settings. That's about as good as you're going to get. If you could somehow get an Asus from Newegg or someplace similar, you could get a monster of a computer, as well as good customer support and MUCH better build quality and reliability. Sony, Toshiba, and MSI are good as well.

I must ask: Is this for college?

Appreciate the input.

It is for everything really, I currently am using a POS computer for internet use. I will use it at college I am sure ;) .

Ah, I see. :)

I was asking because many people come here asking for a powerful laptop because they need something they can take to class, but want to play games as well. The thing is, if you need mobility AND power, a better option is to get a netbook and a desktop and keep then synced. A $300 netbook will have better battery life and portability than any laptop, and a $1000 desktop with the right parts should be a formidable gaming machine.

Desktops are also much more reliable in general then laptops are. Statistically, going by the most reliable manufacturer, a bit over nine in every hundred laptops will fail in the first two years. Somewhere around 11-12 for Dell. Take a look:

squaretrade_laptop-failure-rates.png

neat chart but where are they getting their information from?

I am traveling overseas for a year or so right after my birthday, a laptop will have to suffice.

if you want a computer for games you really shouldn't be buying a laptop my friend. Dont see why you really want a Dell not that there not good just you can get better. for gaming look at the graphics card, dedicated is obviously better, stay away from nvidia and 512 is your minimum try getting a 1024. you could have a really good machine but if the graphics card was crap so will your games be.
i would recommend myself you get alienware something like m17x chck it out you'll like it alot.

derrr no shit wan*er, did he not say he wanted a dell ??

Shut up.

Anyhow, OP: Don't worry so much about the processor, or the RAM. RAM is easily expanded later. If the primary focus is gaming, then try to find what the best graphics chipset is within your pricerange, and certainly get dedicated if possible. As for processor, a Core2Duo or above should be fine for your purpose.

Back
Top Bottom