help building computer

I'm thinking about buying the Aspire X-Plorer (silver) ATX case, but I was wondering what motherboard would be a good choice to put inside of it. I want a motherboard that could at least support a 3.0 GHZ chip. Also I don't want it to expensive $25.00-$50.00. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks to all help,

EliteGamer

I'm guessing you want an Intel compatible motherboard..

But, we need this information..
The socket you desire (Will have to be compatible with other hardware)
What type of Intel processor you'd like

And be reminded that buying cheap on the motherboard isn't a good choice.. its basically the brain of the PC, and if you don't buy something good you could experience problems later...

Such as, you buy a nice PCI-Express video card without realizing your M.B. has not got a PCI-Express x16 slot.

If your building a new computer, I would research it a bit more and raise your budget so you'll have a good and
compatible system.

EDIT: By the way, if you are an 'elite gamer' then I'd seriously consider an AMD system. Their better for gaming than Intel, and cheaper as well. Plus, they don't run as hot as Intel does.. Your choice but I know I was in your position at once to.. and I made the right choice (IMO) and went with AMD. :)

I was thinking of the Intel Pentium 4 M950 motherboard. It can support 2 GB of RAM and is IDE and ATX compatible. It also supports intel 4 chips that are socket 478. It seems like a good motherboard and it's only 5.00 on ebay brand new.

I just saw your EDIT. I like Intel proccessor better. I've been to a Internet/LAN gaming place and they used AMD proccessor and the computer lagged terribly. I don't know the gaming place's computers specs, but the lagg has made me hate AMD proccessors. Also they where running T1 which shouldn't lagg. I won't be going back.

$5.00 for a brand new motherboard..?

Hmm, I'd make sure the following..
It has a warranty.
Check how many PCI slots, and other slots it has.
Check if it has integrated audio / video if your going to need.

Do some research on it.. I mean for 5.00, you can't really lose, but you will lose if you buy all of your hardware to go around the motherboard, the motherboard dies down the road, and you have to search for a motherboard to support it.

What were they doing to make it lag..?
And respectively, that could've been caused by anything they did wrong.

I have an Intel system right now, which I'm selling, and then building my AMD system. It lags as well in alot of situations.. but lag could be caused by so many things..

Not enough RAM
Graphic Card
Faulty hardware
Slow processor
Ect.

what are you going to be doing? gaming? multitasking? what? if you are.... i totally suggest amd. of course, its your money... lol. intel is good at other things besides gaming and i have an intel and it works just fine. but my labtop just blazes past it. of course, if the mobo u want is only 5 then well.... go ahead and get it! thats a sweet price! of course, just a little hint hint, id wait right now for building a new comp and wait until the dual core processors come out... oh man. they'll be sweet. both of the companies... and yeah, as Bahawolf says, if u love to game, amd pwns at gaming, no matter what. go to www.amd.com/ and look the benchamarks comparing the penti and amd's cpu for gaming and damn dude... amd just takes down intel. but let's not flame here or wahtever. if you feel you like intel, then go right ahead.

Dual processors will probally be very expensive when they come out.. so I'd wait until the initial price drops a bit. Plus for me, I'd prefer just going with my AMD 3500+ as I'm overdoing it now.. and that would just be total overkill.

But yeah, AMD (IMO) is better for gaming, but your choice who to go with.. just do some research so you'll be satisfied and have no doubts. :)

As for the motherboard, for 5 dollars you can't lose as I said, but really, I'd make sure it has the ports and enough ports for everything your buying.. because otherwise you'll be mad when you set down to build this thing.

EDIT: Here is the motherboard you want for just over a dollar..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44943&item=6771482454&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Yea, I know AMD is better, but alot more expensive that the board I want. The AMD motherboard I want is 85.00 where as the Intel board I want is 5.00. I could always upgrade if I wanted. I'm going to be using my board for everything. Since Intel is good all around and less expensive I will go with it for now until I get some more money the AMD.

I honestly think you should spend more on your motherboard if you want to do everything on it. It depend on how what Socket/CPU you are going to use. LGA775 is the newest, but mobo are generally higher priced. Socket 478 is still common these days and lower end boards are generally crap.

hmm.... well the M950 seems like a good board for the price. It can hold 2 GB of RAM and has all the slots I need. It suits my needs. Yea, it is probably crap compared to some models. I like it though, so I'm going to get it.

Back
Top Bottom