Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Help With Boot

Ok guys just looking for soem pointers

im the local nerd on my block so everyone comes to me for computer help

my nieghbors computer has had problems booting up
it gets to windows startup selection screen and freezes on whichever option
i choose to go on ( safe mode, normal ect) she had this happen like 2 months ago i ended up formatting it, it worked till now any suggestions on whats wrong?

HD?

mobo?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Help With Boot

Does the HDD continue to spin while it freezes?

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
In Runtime

i belive so, ill chek up again

if it does keep spinning?
mobo?

and if it freezes its the hd?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

No idea what's wrong xD

Do you have the Windows disks available? You could repair the files, without loosing data...and it should work then.
aowen416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
In Runtime

i actually dont have it

ill try that tho non destructive system restore?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Yeah..basically it's like a system restore...that you can do without logging into Windows. Just repairs all the Windows files.

Here's a guide on how to do it:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Run an Antivirus see if it picks anything up, has she got an up to date firewall and AV, run windows update to make the computer more secure, if the persists then shut it down, switch it off at the mains then take the side off, check for dust, clean if necessary,paying special attention to the Heatsinc(panels) these get very dusty, another course of action would be to check your system temps, run CPU COOL and see if you have a heat issue, you may need a new PSU. are you getting any blue screens or error beeps?
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
Run an Antivirus see if it picks anything up, has she got an up to date firewall and AV, run windows update to make the computer more secure, if the persists then shut it down, switch it off at the mains then take the side off, check for dust, clean if necessary,paying special attention to the Heatsinc(panels) these get very dusty, another course of action would be to check your system temps, run CPU COOL and see if you have a heat issue, you may need a new PSU. are you getting any blue screens or error beeps?

Tell me, how exactly do you plan for him to run antivirus/update software if he can't even log into windows?

There is no way dust/overheating could cause such a consistent problem- especially if he fixed it for two months by reformatting.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aowen416 View Post
Tell me, how exactly do you plan for him to run antivirus/update software if he can't even log into windows?

There is no way dust/overheating could cause such a consistent problem- especially if he fixed it for two months by reformatting.
Try safe mode.. reformatting will not fix that problem, if thats what it is as once the heat sinc panels get blocked with dust the CPU overheats.
He should check his ram and his graphics card aswell, Oh and what suggestons are you putting forward sweat F.A.

If he can not get into safe mode then he will have to reformat but that does not answer why it has happend, finding the problem would be the best start which is why I asked if his computer was UP TO DATE.

blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote