Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default help attaching powersupply

hello,

i am new to building computers, and i wanted to make one as a learning experience. I go all my parts, and have assembled them inside the case. What my problem is is the power. im not sure where to plug everything in. here is a picture of what i have:

I have tried a few different combos of plugs, none of them work. I pluged it into the hdd, floppy, cd, cdrw, but my problem is with the power button and the mother board. From the back of the power button is a cable that came with the case. What plugs do i plug into where? thanks for any help.

bigggnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: help attaching powersupply

the plugs from the power button on the case plug into the motherboard... check the mobo manual for directions on where to plug the plugs in

Athlon 64 3500+ with great big massive arctic cooling fan, 2GB DDR RAM, 256MB PCI-E ATI Radion X800 GTO, Hauppage TV Card, 200GB SATA + 165GB IDE Hard Disk Drive, 1GBit Ethernet card, and a lot of operationg systems installed:
WinXP + Win98 + Win3.1 + Debian + CentOS + DSL + Feather linux + Opensuse 10.1 + Grub multiboot.
bigbondfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

they are down in the lower right hand corner of the motherboard, there will be plugs for your power and reset buttons and the power and hdd led's. Consult your motherboard's manual as to which plugs go where.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
In Runtime

OK. If this is a new motherboard, there should only be 2 plugs from the power supply that will go into the mainboard. There will be a long looking plug that will clearly only go in one place and only one way. The Second should be a pretty cable with 2 yellow and 2 black leads, this one sits not far from the CPU and once again can only go in one way. All the other cable from the power supply go to the Driver ( CD, hard drive) and there is one for the floppy to. Its rather basic
joelbeveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #5
Baseband Member

i still cant get it... i connected the square yellow/black plug and the big long plug. I also connected the led plugs. There is one power cable coming from the front of the case (power button). I pluged the power supply directly into it. Now, what do i do with the four pin connector on the left of the motherboard? Am i still doing something wrong?

p.s. thanks for the replys
bigggnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

four pin connector on the motherboard, there should be a four pin connector on your power supply that can connect to it.

| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote