Help Anyone Who Knows Codes???

Gibson...Thankyou for the continued help....I ment about hurting was that it keeps blue screening when i try to boot and i dont want to damage any of the hardware or the OS,not the running of memtest...Considering i know little about computers.

So Memtest86+ will run in safe mode,do you know where i can safely down load it?...I know some places you have to becareful of..

If the blue screening will not hurt the computer or the OS i will try to get it going and down load Memtest86+ when i can get directed to a safe place to down load it from....

On the other topic of the picture,point taken and i will stick with the issue at hand.....

The MSI board cost me $129.00 so it most likely is not considered higher end.....But it seems to be the general thought that it is the memory or drivers...

Hopefully someone has a link to a place to down load Memtest86+.......

Download Memtest86+ on a good computer and burn it to disc. That is, rightclick on the .iso file and select burn Image to Disc. Throw the bootable disc into the optical drive of the computer to be tested and boot from CD/DVD drive.

Or, if you have a spare USB drive bouncing around, download the USB drive installer and burn it to the thumbdrive, boot the computer to be tested off the thumbdrive and let it run.

Bluescreening does no physical damage to your hardware, though it may be a result of damaged hardware (as we are discussing at the moment).

Faulty memory can damage the Operating system, however, which is why we want you to use a standalone diagnostic tool such as memtest86; it boots into its own low-profile OS, runs a diagnostic on your memory and presents you with the results.

GibsonSGKing is correct in that most (~98%) RAM problems will be detected in the first 5 passes or so, I like to do a 24-hr run to verify my RAM is good; but that is personal preference.

Keep in mind, also, that memtest is not perfect-- I have had faulty RAM modules that will pass on memtest, but that is an extremely rare occurrence.

If you do get a failure, then pull all but one RAM stick and run again, testing each module individually (assuming you have more than one module) to find the faulty one. If all fail, then try one in a different slot-- there may be one or more bad slots in the motherboard or the Northbridge may be temperamental as to which slot gets used first, etc. Again, this is a rarity, but it does happen on occasion.

What i'm going to do is copy this and send it to Mark who will be doing work on my computer....I have no money to take it to a PC shop....And its very frustrating..I am grateful for the people who have been helping me with this....

Knowing little to nothing about computers i am not smart enough to get this on the first or second explination of it all.....I'm doing my best to learn from what i am being told here.....

One thing that no ones commented on is if i pull the current ram and put other ram in that it would be as effective as running the memtest.....And if so that for me would be the simplest thing....I can at least switch out ram.....

What i'm going to do is copy this and send it to Mark who will be doing work on my computer....I have no money to take it to a PC shop....And its very frustrating..I am grateful for the people who have been helping me with this....

Knowing little to nothing about computers i am not smart enough to get this on the first or second explination of it all.....I'm doing my best to learn from what i am being told here.....

One thing that no ones commented on is if i pull the current ram and put other ram in that it would be as effective as running the memtest.....And if so that for me would be the simplest thing....I can at least switch out ram.....

Honestly, the simplest thing is just to run the memtest yourself. You literally just burn it to a disk, stick the disk in, boot the computer and tell us what it does. That's really all there is to it.

Download Memtest86+ on a good computer and burn it to disc. That is, rightclick on the .iso file and select burn Image to Disc. Throw the bootable disc into the optical drive of the computer to be tested and boot from CD/DVD drive.

Or, if you have a spare USB drive bouncing around, download the USB drive installer and burn it to the thumbdrive, boot the computer to be tested off the thumbdrive and let it run.

Bluescreening does no physical damage to your hardware, though it may be a result of damaged hardware (as we are discussing at the moment).

Faulty memory can damage the Operating system, however, which is why we want you to use a standalone diagnostic tool such as memtest86; it boots into its own low-profile OS, runs a diagnostic on your memory and presents you with the results.

GibsonSGKing is correct in that most (~98%) RAM problems will be detected in the first 5 passes or so, I like to do a 24-hr run to verify my RAM is good; but that is personal preference.

Keep in mind, also, that memtest is not perfect-- I have had faulty RAM modules that will pass on memtest, but that is an extremely rare occurrence.

If you do get a failure, then pull all but one RAM stick and run again, testing each module individually (assuming you have more than one module) to find the faulty one. If all fail, then try one in a different slot-- there may be one or more bad slots in the motherboard or the Northbridge may be temperamental as to which slot gets used first, etc. Again, this is a rarity, but it does happen on occasion.

Everything here is spot on.

Thank you for saving me all of the typing :p

Okay Dngrsone and GibsonSGKing Mark my neighbor came over...He burned memtest to a CD for me....One thing Mark told me is XP Home will only see 4 gigs of ram,so that i have 8 gigs is kind of pointless...It is two sticks of 4....

Mark found that there was a BIOs update that addressed a memory conflict but it was not more specific then that....I am hoping THAT was the problem....

I ran memtest a quick 4 scans then Mark switched them and i started the more intense scan..Mark said windows will only see the one that was being scanned.It will not see or access the other.....It scanned over night,Dng likes a 24 hour scan,Gibson said 5 passes should be enough so i met you guys in the middle doing 10 scans and it passed no errors.....

I cant re-explain what Mark told me but he thinks that slowing down the ram might be the fix to the problem....I dont know how he came to that...Thoughts on this anyone??????

Mark double checked all the BIO's settings....

Also another question....I am using XP Home via a upgrade cd that i got at Costco....Now Costco has a upgrade cd for the latest version of windows...Can I upgrade from a upgrade cd?....When i did the upgrade to XP it just asked for a Windows OS cd,i had a Windows 98 cd and that was good enough....

My reason for going to another OS would be so that i could utilize more then 4 gigs of RAM as thats all that XP Home will use.......

I am off to start up my computer and see if that BIOs update that had to do with a RAM conflict was indeed my problem.....

Blue Screen.......

error code 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF8046F2, 0xA78F4B58, 0x00000000

win32k.sys - Address BF8046F2 based at BF800000, Date Stamp 4f2ba740

I am starting to think this is not a solvable problem...My thought is to call MSI and see if theres anything they can do to help me...

As i said my neighbor thinks slowing the RAM down would solve this problem....

All i do is simple things like Youtube watching,e-mails and picture editing...I just want a computer that can handle that.....So frustrated right now.... =(

It is possible that slowing the ram down, or bumping up the voltage to the RAM could the problem. In the past, I've seen motherboards properly set the timings for the ram but fail to put the voltage at the needed level. If the voltage doesn't match what the RAM wants you can get some instability.

Something I'd like to throw out there is the possibly of a bad hard drive (which would explain why memtest came back error free). If drivers are loaded into a corrupt sector or the hard drive has read errors all hell can break loose. My preferred diagnostic utility is Seagate's Seatools which does work well with any kind of hard drive (at least for me). You can download a copy of it from here: SeaTools for DOS | Seagate and again choose the bootable ISO file like was done for memtest.

It is possible that slowing the ram down, or bumping up the voltage to the RAM could the problem. In the past, I've seen motherboards properly set the timings for the ram but fail to put the voltage at the needed level. If the voltage doesn't match what the RAM wants you can get some instability.

Something I'd like to throw out there is the possibly of a bad hard drive (which would explain why memtest came back error free). If drivers are loaded into a corrupt sector or the hard drive has read errors all hell can break loose. My preferred diagnostic utility is Seagate's Seatools which does work well with any kind of hard drive (at least for me). You can download a copy of it from here: SeaTools for DOS | Seagate and again choose the bootable ISO file like was done for memtest.

If the memtest comes back clean though, how would changing RAM settings help?

I would look at the motherboard first, and then the HDD. I'm honestly not sure how you could check the mobo though

If the memtest comes back clean though, how would changing RAM settings help?

I would look at the motherboard first, and then the HDD. I'm honestly not sure how you could check the mobo though

It probably wouldn't help anything to be blunt but he asked so I answered :)

Short of clearing CMOS and updating BIOS, I think the only way to check a mobo is to make sure none of the capacitors are bulging or burst open. Beyond that if no like-replacement is available the only way to test for mobo issues that I'm aware of is eliminating everything else. At least by checking the HDD that'd be one more thing we could cross off and eliminate.

Back
Top Bottom