Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Help/Advice/Reviews on NAS?

Hey All!

I just wanted to ask people on the forum if they had any experience or reviews for the Western Digital My Book World Edition NAS. ---> http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=587

I am looking so a NAS to replace my SAN - A Netgear sc101t. Main reason is it is not compatible with Windows 7 I was looking at some drives and this one seemed good. Any advice? Any Recommendations?

Thanx All!

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit|Browser:(default)Firefox 3.6.12,Internet Explorer 8 |CPU:intel i7 2.93gH|Mobo:Gigabyte p55a - ud3p|Memory:8gb DDR3|GFX:ATI Radeon HD 4870X2 2GIG|Sound:Onboard AC97/HD|Peripherals: Microsoft Optical Mouse, Logitech Keyboard,3 Printers,Dymo Label Writer
~~
Sheldon Cooper:Well, well, well, if it isn't Wil Wheaton. The Green Goblin to my Spider-Man, the Pope Paul V to my Galileo, the Internet Explorer to my Firefox! XD
~~
steveoderocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Help/Advice/Reviews on NAS?

I use the NEC NAS-100 Speed Dragon. I'm not sure if NEC is still in the NAS game but you might want to check. I've had 2 for several years and no issues. Both have kissed the floor several times and keep right on ticking.
There shouldn't be a OS dependant compatibility issues with any NAS. You either go in on USB or network connection.
Only advise is to shop carefully. There's some serious garbage out there.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
There shouldn't be a OS dependant compatibility issues with any NAS. You either go in on USB or network connection.
Only advise is to shop carefully. There's some serious garbage out there.
Hey,

Well technically, Netgear was mis-selling (i guess thats what you call it) the sc101t as a NAS when in actual fact it is a SAN - and the software it not compatible with Windows 7 - believe me, me and about 200 over the net on forums have tried. Alough there are work arounds for the 32 bit version - i intend on getting 7 64 bit.

And yeah, i have to shop around. That's why i wanted to see if any one here used the My Book World Edition. To see how it preforms, etc.

I will have a look at the NAS you suggested setishock.

Thanx!

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit|Browser:(default)Firefox 3.6.12,Internet Explorer 8 |CPU:intel i7 2.93gH|Mobo:Gigabyte p55a - ud3p|Memory:8gb DDR3|GFX:ATI Radeon HD 4870X2 2GIG|Sound:Onboard AC97/HD|Peripherals: Microsoft Optical Mouse, Logitech Keyboard,3 Printers,Dymo Label Writer
~~
Sheldon Cooper:Well, well, well, if it isn't Wil Wheaton. The Green Goblin to my Spider-Man, the Pope Paul V to my Galileo, the Internet Explorer to my Firefox! XD
~~
Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Baseband Member

Bump...
~~
~~
Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

I read this article a few days ago...
Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Baseband Member

....I was thinking more in the direction of buying a NAS. After reading some more reviews about the WD My Book - it it pretty much capped to a speed of 3-5 MB/s. At least ATM my sc101t can get upto 11 MB/s.

Any idea's guys?

:S

Thanx!

~~
~~
Old 07-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

I'd check on craiglist for free/cheap P4 machines and then stick a new hdd into it and then install freenas. Thats what I'm doing with my dads old c2d after i build him a new computer.

My Desktop: Intel Core i7-970@4.5GHz 1.39V Stable--ASUS P6X58D-E--6GB Supertalent Chrome (Elpida Hyper) 1800MHz 6-6-6-24--eVGA GTX 580--Intel 510 120GB--WD 2TB Caviar Black--Silverstone RV03-EK Supreme HF w/ Black Ice GTX 480--Koolance VID-NX580

My Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz--4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM--NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT-320GB hard drive
shozzking is offline   Reply With Quote