Help with 2nd rig...

Rudster, don't tell other people their facts are wrong when your's are wrong too. You do not need a 30"+ monitor to run 1920 x 1200, my 17" screen runs at that resolution just perfect.

I would say leave the processor and go with the 640mb 8800 and you will be golden. You could always overclock the processor, 6600's overclock nicely.

but can you actually read what's on the screen....no...

The confusion comes from this in your first post.

Gigabyte GF 8800gts sli 320mb

Its not SLI until your running 2 of them.

The build looks solid maybe you should look at the E6750 or maybe the E6850 with the new 1333FSB's.

You could run a quad but you'll most likely overclock a E6600 or E6750 etc to a higher clock then you could a quad so until games supporting quad core's go mainsteam you'll most likely get a faster FSP with a dual core that can clock higher.

Ah I see what I done, although I did just copy and paste from the site which mentions SLi but im guessing that just means its Sli compatiable.

Well the system mentioned in the 1st post is going to be ordered on monday, just wanted to check...i shouldn't need to order any cables etc as this should all come with the retail packaging yes?

Keyboard/mouse, monitor, printer, speakers, headset etc i've already got rdy and waiting.

[Edit] also forgot to ask.....xp or vista.....32 or 64 bit?

I'd recommend Vista 64bit as long as all your components IE your printer/soundcard are fairly up to date. Check out the manufactures website and make sure they have driver support for Vista.

Its the new OS much better driver support then the XP 64bit. 64bit is the way to go since it can address much more than 3.25gigs of ram. With ultimate 64bit you can address as much as 128gigs of ram. Of course thats a long way off but with the 8800 series supporting DX10 games you know ram standards are going up look at the price drops already.

I still run a dual boot myself for certain apps that are not compatible with Vista IE my DVD burning suite for movies. Theres stuff out for Vista I just have not bothered to download anything yet.

If you don't think some of your stuff may work you may consider a dual boot setup. Buy a 2nd HD say a little 160gig drive to Install XP on. I'm sure you have a XP disc laying around you can use.

Indeed got a few xp discs around my lil lab area (my small spare bedroom)...Just thought i might go for vista, however i've got some spare hdds and externals so might run both and see which one runs with my system the best.

might just sell my current rig to my cousin for 500 quid and get a new rig for about £700-900.

Cheers

just a quick question....been on mirco-direct and was about to order an intel c2b e6600 but noticed the e6750 on special offer cheaper.

Whats the catch here? surely they arent selling the better one cheaper? which one should i get........:confused:

soz here is the link to the special offer

Also if i did buy the special offer processor....would the original mobo i mentioned be able to handle it since the mobo mentioned 1066FSB....just REALLY confused atm.

No, the motherboard you chose won't be compatable.

I'm also buying a PC from microdirect and I'm going for the Abit IP-35 which has a max bus of 1333mhz, which will support the new E6750.

I don't think its a catch, but there has been a few times where they've sold stuff for less than they've meant to be. They'd probably have to give it you for that price anyhow, but I think its correct.

Check these motherboards out, all which have 1333mhz and would support the E6750.

Its future proofing you anyway, getting a 1333mhz board:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?n=2,16,3355,3560,1001,1009&n=973

one more questions to make myself sound like a noob my cousin just confused the hell outta me. ok DVD-RW drive, IDE / SATA whats the difference? which one would i need to order? personally thought the IDE one would be fine. J

just a quick question....been on mirco-direct and was about to order an intel c2b e6600 but noticed the e6750 on special offer cheaper.

Whats the catch here? surely they arent selling the better one cheaper? which one should i get........:confused:

soz here is the link to the special offer

just a good deal, order away :D

Back
Top Bottom