Help with 2 issues (Hardware and Software)

withyouieat

Beta member
Hello,

I have two questions that I was hoping to squeeze into one post. First:

I can't remember any specific changes I made, but recently, both my DVD drive and my DVD-RW drive are no longer "there". Not in My Computer, not in Explorer, not in Device Manager (yes I checked hidden devices). They are gone! The still have power and they both open and close just fine. What can I try!?

Second:

I seem to have misplaced my Windows XP Professional CD and was thinking reformatting/repairing might fix the above problem. Well I still have the COA and I found a Windows XP Professional w/Service Pack 2 disc. So for this 2 part question; Does it matter if I use another CD with my COA? And does it matter if my original CD was not Service Pack 2?

Thanks for your help!

Nate

Hi Nate,

First one:

Sounds like a cable failure or similar, are they both on the same (ide?)cable? Can you try a different one?

Second: one:

You should be OK as long as your COA and the disk are the same though I would use Magic Jellybean Keyfinder to retrieve your key from the installation before I formatted.

Hi Nate,

First one:

Sounds like a cable failure or similar, are they both on the same (ide?)cable? Can you try a different one?

Ah. I never even thought of the cable. I figured since the power worked, it should work!
Second: one:

You should be OK as long as your COA and the disk are the same though I would use Magic Jellybean Keyfinder to retrieve your key from the installation before I formatted.

Okay I'm not quite sure what you mean here. If my COA came with a "Windows XP Professional" and the CD I want to use is a "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2", is that going to be okay? I'll use that program but will that ensure a smooth installation?

Back
Top Bottom