Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Help with 2 issues (Hardware and Software)

Hello,

I have two questions that I was hoping to squeeze into one post. First:

I can't remember any specific changes I made, but recently, both my DVD drive and my DVD-RW drive are no longer "there". Not in My Computer, not in Explorer, not in Device Manager (yes I checked hidden devices). They are gone! The still have power and they both open and close just fine. What can I try!?

Second:

I seem to have misplaced my Windows XP Professional CD and was thinking reformatting/repairing might fix the above problem. Well I still have the COA and I found a Windows XP Professional w/Service Pack 2 disc. So for this 2 part question; Does it matter if I use another CD with my COA? And does it matter if my original CD was not Service Pack 2?

Thanks for your help!

Nate

withyouieat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Help with 2 issues (Hardware and Software)

Hi Nate,

First one:

Sounds like a cable failure or similar, are they both on the same (ide?)cable? Can you try a different one?

Second: one:

You should be OK as long as your COA and the disk are the same though I would use Magic Jellybean Keyfinder to retrieve your key from the installation before I formatted.

E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Beta Member

Default Re: Help with 2 issues (Hardware and Software)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A True Folder View Post
Hi Nate,

First one:

Sounds like a cable failure or similar, are they both on the same (ide?)cable? Can you try a different one?
Ah. I never even thought of the cable. I figured since the power worked, it should work!
Quote:
Second: one:

You should be OK as long as your COA and the disk are the same though I would use Magic Jellybean Keyfinder to retrieve your key from the installation before I formatted.
Okay I'm not quite sure what you mean here. If my COA came with a "Windows XP Professional" and the CD I want to use is a "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2", is that going to be okay? I'll use that program but will that ensure a smooth installation?
withyouieat is offline   Reply With Quote