Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Beta Member
Talking Hello! Introducing "My new computer"

Hi there. New member. Pretty much a noob when it comes to computers but I know a few stuff here and there.

Ive been running on a AMD Athlon 1.4 for God knows how long now, and I just decided on upping to something with more "umph".

Keeping the budget in mind, I've decided to make a good gaming PC, designed MOSTLY for gaming performance... Games such as FEAR, Q4, basically all the next-gen games that are out and coming out in the future...

Heres what I came up with thus far:

Intel Core Duo E6300 (1.86 ghz)- $183 --> im pretty much set on the CPU. Dont really wanna go above the 6300.

ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P ATX- $81.00 --> I just found out about this board... its cheap, and it supports Crossfire, and the C2D. Read some reviews... seems pretty stable. HERES a review of it. Newegg and the review site says only DDR2 667 is supported, but ASRocks official site says "Supports DDRII 667/533 ".

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533- $108 ---> (will add another stick in at a later time if some of the recent games dont run well...

Maxtor DiamondMax 17 6G160E0 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s - $60.00 ----> 160GB is enough for me right now, but will this thing even FIT inside the computer?

Optical Drive- just gonna use my regular one till I have a running computer first. (Basic Sony cd-rw drive)

As for the PSU/Case, how the hell do I know if the mobo will fit a certain case? Do I just chance it? I had my eye on THIS because it comes with the PSU and not a bad looking case either, but how will I know it even fits... T-T

And Im gonna do a little more researching on the GPU... Friends tell me that a whole line of new cards are gonna be out, causing all the previous ones to shoot down.

Am I missing anything...?

I'm also sorta worried most of these aprts wont "fit" in together. An example would be something like DDR 533 and DDR2 667. I just found out about this. (I thought there were only 2 types of RAM out there: SDRAM and DDRAM) I would be freaking screwed if I bought some motherboard that did only support 667. Like would the Maxtor HDD fit in with everything? This stuff I'm really worried about... T-T

she8nom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: Hello! Introducing "My new computer"

A few suggestions:

I would suggest upping to the e6400 if you expect to get decent framerates with those games. also if your doing and OCing the E6400 has a 8x multiplier.

RAM: I would stick with 1GB and when you get Vista just get another GB

HD: Dont worry about it. It will fit lol.

Case: I highly reccomend the Coolermaster centurion 5. its high end, proffessional, and has great cooling and is only $45 off newegg. you can get one with a side window for $50. but if you want to look like a true gamer, that case you posted is GREAT. I would reccomend buying an extra 120mm fan btw.

PSU: DO NOT SKIMP ON THE PSU! If you have a high end GFX card I would go with a 580W Hiper Power Supply. Brands I would never reccomend. Ever:

GPU: Well if you want to play all those future games on all high w/ decent frames... well im afraid youll have to spend $400+on a GPU. I would reccomend waiting for the 8800GTO to go down in price. If you dont want to spend that much, they sell 7900GTX's on ebay for as low as $300

Well good luck

browserjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
Send a message via AIM to BigLu

browserjoe, he doesn't need to go any higher on the cpu for decent frame rates, the e6300 destroys my athlon64 3200, and I own and play everygame he mentioned, all on the highest settings. And it's not like I have a crazy gpu to compensate either, the x850xt isn't top of the line or anything.
HD 4870
BigLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
Golden Master
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

6300 is fine.

PSU however.. I gotta agree with Joe, you simply CANNOT GET ONE WITH A CASE!

On another note.. most PSUs are of the same size.. my Enermax fit in my antec solution beautifully.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote