heatsink troubles

mikee

Fully Optimized
today my heatsink popped out on one side of the motherboard so I took it all the way out and put it back in but now instead my temp is way higher and the computer acts all wierd and bsod s alot The temperature in the bios and speedfan went from 33c-36c which was normal for before but ever since the incident its been around 70-85c. The fan still turns just as fast as before and I'm sure I reinstalled in correctly.
why would the temp be so high now?

Did you put thermal grease on the CPU since you removed the heatsink? There is not enough coverage of thermal grease once a HSF is removed.

thanx for the quick reply. this thing shut off twice while i was trying to post.

does thermal paste really account for a 40c increase in temp??
Also since my heatsink (stock 775 heatsink) came with a thermal pad on it I don't really know how to put the thermal compound on without damaging the cpu.

thanx for the quick reply. this thing shut off twice while i was trying to post.

does thermal paste really account for a 40c increase in temp??
Also since my heatsink (stock 775 heatsink) came with a thermal pad on it I don't really know how to put the thermal compound on without damaging the cpu.

Yes on the temp difference.

As far as applying the thermal compound, obviously you will need a tube of thermal compound. The easiest way to apply it is to dab an amount the size of a grain of rice on the cpu and spread it out evenly with something flat like a business card.

Any other questions?

but before you apply any more thermal compound, make sure you clean off every bit of the last on off the CPU and heatsink. I use Arctic Clean which works really well, i think i paid $6 on newegg, i got free shipping because i added it to my friends shopping cart, and he said he would pay the shipping. I dont know what generic brands you could use, but you have to make sure you get the previous thermal compound completely off for best results.

After you get them off, you put about 3/4 of a bb on the center of the CPU, then put the HSF on, and when its on, turn it a little to spread it, then lock in the CPU.

Or you can use the card thing, i use some kind of zip lock bag, wrap it tight around my finger, and spread it with my finger, its not as clean as the card, but maybe do both, or just not spread it, and let the Heat spread the compound.

I don't really think turning it to spread will work since there are the 4 screw things that go in the holes preventing it from turning but if the dab of thermal paste is big enough wouldn't it just spread once the heatsink flattens the dab of paste?

Please note that some heatsinks cannot be twisted once mounted.

Since the vast majority of the heat from the core travels directly through the heat spreader, it is more important to have a good interface directly above the actual CPU core than it is to have the heat spreader covered with compound from corner to corner.

It should be OK if you can't give it a slight twist.

I was just reading the arctic silver 5 instructions and it mentions something about a break in period where it will drop the temp about 3c. is that all the difference this stuff makes?

pretty much i think.
Its better than getting any other "Cheap" compound.
There are other good Thermal Compound, but i forgot whats it called.
I think they are good if you are going to use an aftermarket HSF.

Back
Top Bottom