Heatsink Question

CarpeNoctem

Daemon Poster
It's been 4 or 5 years since I was computer savvy lol. So I am a little lost and need some help :)

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/cooling/Cooler_Master_Hyper_N520_4.html
I just installed this heatsink and my temperatures are 35-37 idle and 45-50 while rendering 3D models, at about 25% cpu usage (no overclock). Anyone know why these temps are so high, when compared to this site? To my knowledge, it's within the safe zone.. but since I work with 3D and render a lot, I would like to get them as low as the link.

I have a case with two 120mm fans in front, two 120 mm fans on the side, two 120 mm (high rpm) fans on top, one 120 mm fan on bottom, one 120 mm fan on the back, and one 80 mm fan behind the cpu. I applied a small dot of AS5 thermal paste. Maybe too small :\

My GPU is small and not generating much heat, so that shouldn't be the problem. And My processor is an X4 955 BE.

I am hoping I only need to reseat the cpu. But, I kind of remember when I first built a computer (in 2003), they said you need more fans blowing air out of the case, than there are fans blowing air inside. Not doing so can minimize airflow and raise your computers temperature. I probably heard this on the old show "The Screensavers". So if people still believe this, i was thinking it could be a reason.

*edit*
I added the sizes of my fans

Not all systems and reviews are going to perform the same. Here's a review that shows similar temps to what you are seeing: OverclockerCafe - Cooler Master Hyper N520

This is how your fans should be set up:

120mm front fans blowing in
120mm side fans blowing in
120mm top fans blowing out
120mm bottom fan blowing in
120mm rear fan blowing out
80mm rear fan blowing out.

I got the fan directions correct. Ok, that makes sense. His lower idle speed is probably due to disabling services/background stuff or going through correct procedures to rate the temp. I am just basing my temps off of my computers work performance.

Thanks for the help! Now I can have one less thing to worry about :)

Back
Top Bottom