Hdds for dell servers

You don't 'need' a rack. I have two HP G6 servers in my basement sitting on a shelf. Realize these are large boxes and put off a decent amount of heat.

Servers are fun to mess with but realize your cost isn't going to be just in hardware. If you want to run a windows server OS that will set you back a pretty penny as well. If you want to setup a domain environment, configure RDP or get your own remote apps setup from a website you own a server would do great for this.

If however you just want to do a file share, you are wasting your money on an enterprise class server when you can simply spend 300 bucks on a beefy desktop and use it as a file share. WD and Seagate also have NAS devices now that can connect either to your wifi or ethernet in your home. I would suggest going that route - it will save you time and money.

-If you want to just do file sharing, go another route and get a NAS or cheap desktop
-If you want to do more, configure FTP, RDP, Remote Apps, get a true remote desktop experience and create a domain environment, a server is the way to go

I have been thinking the same myself that for now building a fully pledged server with over the top power is not a good plan at the moment for now at least until I want to do more intensive tasks but my main priority at the moment is a vast amount of storage for file sharing I have been thinking about nas drives myself

What would you say to this sort of product seems ok

NETGEAR ReadyNAS 104 NAS Enclosure – 4 bay Deals | PC World

I was thinking of adding 4x 4TB Western digital Red drives making 16TB total space

Last edited:
I would go with something like that honestly. I've looked into some NAS devices but haven't purchased one. They are good because they are cheaper than a file server, have build in RAID and can connect right onto your network.

I wanted to build a server after that to allow certain family members to access files stored on my network from there network from a website or intenet connection would that be possible ? Also I wanted a server for a gaming hosting services

Would the nas drive then still be compatable with the server I built after allowing people to acces media stored on that drive over a outside internet connection

I think most NAS devices today have granular security. I'm sure it depends on the product but i'm pretty certain you can configure sharing rights to folders on the NAS device.

If you want users from the internet accessing your NAS you will have to setup a server for that to present RDP sessions or virtual desktops which will have the NAS share mapped.

Back
Top Bottom