HDD whats the best?

sherwood

In Runtime
So what if the difference between RAID and SATA?

as I am thinking of getting a 40gb RAID one just for my OS and then have 2 500gb SATA's for files so that i wont loose anything if my os fails or something..

So I was wondering is there any difference? like in speed at loading?

So what if the difference between RAID and SATA?

as I am thinking of getting a 40gb RAID one just for my OS and then have 2 500gb SATA's for files so that i wont loose anything if my os fails or something..

So I was wondering is there any difference? like in speed at loading?

RAID requires two hdds IIRC (I don't know, I have never really wanted RAID), also if you're gonna have that much storage just get a 1TB, it should be cheaper that way...

what do you mean by it needs to HDD's?

And I can't just buy a 1TB as I already had a 500gb and just purchased another..

what do you mean by it needs to HDD's?

And I can't just buy a 1TB as I already had a 500gb and just purchased another..

oh, it sounded like everything you listed you were planning on buying, but yeah, I think RAID requires two identical hard drives in order to set it up, but there will be others more knowledgeable about this who can chime in...

the wikipedia definition...

"RAID is now used as an umbrella term for computer data storage schemes that can divide and replicate data among multiple hard disk drives. RAID's various designs all involve two key design goals: increased data reliability and increased input/output performance. When several physical disks are set up to use RAID technology, they are said to be in a RAID array. This array distributes data across several disks, but the array is seen by the computer user and operating system as one single disk. RAID can be set up to serve several different purposes."

I think you are getting RAID and Sata mixed up.

Sata is a type of connection, like an IDE, its mainly for HDDs and Optical Drives. Sata performs faster than IDE from what i have heard.

While RAID is a type of setup with HDDs, To set up a raid, you would have to have at least 2 HDD, and its best if they are the same size, if you used an 80GB and an 120GB, then the 120GB will lose 40GB when RAID is enabled, which is why its better to be the same capacity. There are multiple types of RAID, the most common ones are RAID1, RAID0, and RAID0+1

RAID1 is a mirror setup, which means the same exact data are transferred the 2 HDD, in case one fails.
RAID0 is a performance setup, the files are split into 2 and each goes to the different HDD, which decreases loading times, but data files can be easily lost, which is why most people set up RAID0+1.

RAID0 gives about an 10%-20% increase from some benches i have seen IIRC, and it actually performs worse when it comes to gaming, but the differences are only a couple of seconds

EDIT: just saw your post

Oh.. I think I might of meant ide..

so would I be able to put an IDE with 2 SATAs

I think you are getting RAID and Sata mixed up.

Sata is a type of connection, like an IDE, its mainly for HDDs and Optical Drives. Sata performs faster than IDE from what i have heard.

While RAID is a type of setup with HDDs, To set up a raid, you would have to have at least 2 HDD, and its best if they are the same size, if you used an 80GB and an 120GB, then the 120GB will lose 40GB when RAID is enabled, which is why its better to be the same capacity. There are multiple types of RAID, the most common ones are RAID1, RAID0, and RAID0+1

RAID1 is a mirror setup, which means the same exact data are transferred the 2 HDD, in case one fails.
RAID0 is a performance setup, the files are split into 2 and each goes to the different HDD, which decreases loading times, but data files can be easily lost, which is why most people set up RAID0+1.

RAID0 gives about an 10%-20% increase from some benches i have seen IIRC, and it actually performs worse when it comes to gaming, but the differences are only a couple of seconds

+1

Back
Top Bottom