HDD stops working after 5 - 10 mins ???????????????????

No im pretty sure it not the HDD as i have tried others and they show up the same results.

Its got to be an electrical problem (perhaps static builds up after some time) and then discharges when you leave it. Or a heat problem. However if the processor is overheating i surly would not be able to access the bios and that does not explain why the HDD is not showing in the BIOS ?????????

However if the processor is overheating i surly would not be able to access the bios and that does not explain why the HDD is not showing in the BIOS ?????????

But if the processor (or anything else) is heating enough to make the sata controller (or the adapter) go flaky then we could have found the issue.

Any chance that your laptop is still under warranty? If so, I'd request a new adapter. You've already tried hard drives so we can rule that out. If it's not the adapter then it has to be the motherboard (HP will call it a systemboard as an FYI)

Yeh, im pretty sure that when the hard drive area is heated it created a problem. Its finding what part is the tricky bit.

No its not under warranty.

It has to be a board problem as i can rule out the HDD and it surly not the sata adaptor. From that point forward its all joint to the board if my memory is correct.

What does this adapter look like? Just a solid piece of plastic, or does it have some kind of chip with a ribbon cable that then feeds to the motherboard? I've been imagining the one with a ribbon cable since that's what I've been dealing with when changing my girlfriend's hard drive recently. If it's just a little plastic thing, then I'd agree that it's more likely to be a board problem.

What does this adapter look like? Just a solid piece of plastic, or does it have some kind of chip with a ribbon cable that then feeds to the motherboard? I've been imagining the one with a ribbon cable since that's what I've been dealing with when changing my girlfriend's hard drive recently. If it's just a little plastic thing, then I'd agree that it's more likely to be a board problem.

Yes solid, receives the normal SATA connection and transforms it to one that fits the machine.

What if you cooled it by external source: AC, a huge fan, etc. -- does the problem still persist?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom