HDD question

Celticsfan

Banned
Stupid question time. I have an old HDD that says 1080 MB SCSI disk drive. Does that mean this HDD is 10 GB? Also, if that is the case, could I hook up that to a computer that uses a SATA HDD?

thx

Nope. They are two different interfaces. The SCSI drive uses a wide connector (much like an IDE drive) consisting of 25, 50, 68, or 80 pins depending on the age and type of drive.

Could I still hook up this HDD if it's MOBO is compatible for it? In otherwords, is it possible for the MOBO to handle both?

thx AR.

Yup, you can do that if your motherboard supports SCSI drives. They do make SCSI PCI controller cards to that allow you to attach SCSI drives to computers that don't normally support them.

My mobo is intel d945gtp, how would I tell if it is compatible for scsi HDD? Thx for your help as always.

If not, are SCSI PCI controller cards expensive or relatively cheap?

thx

The Intel doesn't support SCSI drives. It only has support for SATA and IDE (PATA) drives. You'll need a controller card to use that drive. They can be quite expensive. You can find them on eBay for a decent price.

Back
Top Bottom