HDD Question

Dishdog

Fully Optimized
i have an HDD from my old computer (piece of crap 17GB), and it was my secondary HDD and thats where i kept everything. i was going to transfer everything over to my new computer, but my friend said he did that with a computer and it fried the primary HDD(as in deleted everything and couldn't reinstall anything). Is that possible?

Um...

Your friend did something he's not fessing up to. Install the drive as the slave in your new system and copy over the data. Make sure what you copy functions before removing or formatting the drive.

is there any way a slave drive could damage any other part of your computer?

<edit> also i have a HDD with windows 98 on it, could it be put to slave and get the data off it too?

Don't think so...

Unless there is something electronic or mechanicly wrong with the old drive, I would venture not likely. However just to point out something, the old drive is not going to be ata100 or 133 for that matter. Most likely 33 or 66. If your new system doesn't recconize the drive go in the bios and select it from the list of drive type settings or set it up manually.
As for the drive with win98 on it, do the same thing. But old dos based software has a tough time on xp home or pro. The data like pics will open just fine.
Just a thought, if you have a cd burner on the old system you could just copy off what you want to keep.

the old computers mobo fried thats y i got a new computer(old one was like 6 years old), so i can't burn the stuff off it.

<edit> is there any way to tell if the HDD is damaged?

Back
Top Bottom